• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

The power of mindfulness!I

D

Deliah

I have the power! I have just been to training for my voluntary job. I have been practising mindfulness since November. At that point I found it very difficult to keep my attention in conversation, viewing, anything really, because my attention was always on my mind, or in my head. Today I was able to hold my attention for the duration of the training. I had virtually no voice hearing. I'm full of beans and so many doors are opening for me now that I have acceptance of my experience and not fear of it. Now that I no longer judge myself I am able to live happily and with out resistance to myself, to my voices, to my many characters, visual experiences and states. Without anger towards my own mind. I am about to begin the pre training to becoming a mindfulness coach and I plan to help others.

mami5

mami5

I'm glad that Mindfulness has had a positive affect on your life. Good luck with becoming a coach. :goodluck: :hug:

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

E

Eigau

That's amazing, Deliah. You have made leaps and bounds recently. What's involved in becoming a mindfulness coach. Does it take you into budhism at all?

Kerome

Kerome

Really glad to hear that mindfulness is helping you such a lot, it couldn't happen to a nicer person ;) I'm curious too about Te's question about Buddhism, they are related to a certain extent, although I suppose one of the upsides of mindfulness is particularly that it doesn't have close ties to a religion.

Best of luck with the rest of the training! :hug:

D

Deliah

Thanks Te.reo.orooro, It all originates from the Buddhist practice. Maybe it has a Western slant to it, I'm not yet sure. I hold many of the Buddhist views. I have been retraining my thinking for at least five years, but it has been the recent one to one mindfulness training which has really changed my experience in such a positive way. I stopped falling into deep holes and I am nolonger experiencing dissociation (it has passed, just a Buddha teaches). Obsessive thought is nolonger ruling my world. It's incredible. I see all states as a continuum of being. I have been reading some Buddhist teaching also and talking with Buddhist teachers at my local Buddhist centre. Acceptance is the key. I no longer have the attachment to mind that I previously had and know that I am not my mind. I used to find it so difficult not to get drawn in by the characters I create. They behave and look and talk as humans do. I thought that I didn't need real people in my world because it appeared to me that I had everything within me. It was this way for a long time and then the paranoia started and my voices no longer felt supportive and helpful, just controlling my every move. I was terrified of my sight, of what my mind would do with my environment. Of looking at things. Of so much. This is the power of mindfulness. I am nolonger ruled by my mind. It all began for me with chronic fatigue syndrome. Then the voices arrived with massive anxiety and multi sensory sensitivity. I began a programme called 'the gupta programme' which is based around retraining an area of the brain called the amygadala (or something like that) and also meditation. It was then the voices and all the other stuff which I have suffered with came along and now after all these years I finally see the gifts I have and the gifts the universe offers. I don't call it recovery. This is a life long journey and I have much to learn, but I am blessed that I have my wisdom available to me and I am making wonderful connections with people which weren't possible for me for so long. My voices bring me great insight. I wonder if voice hearers have something available to them that other folk don't in terms of wisdom. I become more and more aware through my minds images and characters of truth. I find the states I have teach me things. I don't view the experience as symptoms, but experience. I have come out of the struggle and this means that everything can flow and pass. I really believe that a lot more is possible for folk in terms of healing than Western psychology, psychiatry can make available to us because the view is a limited one. There is no right or wrong, good or bad. We can only remain ill if we continue to believe in the labels given to us, if we view the experience as disease, we will feel dis ease. Neuroplasticity is the truth. We are ever changing, everything is always changing. Humans aren't meant to be stabalised, it is against the natural laws of the universe. Hope you're having a good day. The training I did today was drugs and alcohol training. I have been working with homeless people. Mindfulness is gradually coming in to all the services. They were aware that it is a useful approach for people suffering with their addiction. Annnnnnnd, hope you're having a good day again. Thank for your support! D xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
E

Eigau

Ah That was my thought about mindfulness. Interesting that you mention the amygdala. It is part of a group of areas including the hippocampus and hypothalamus which are all thought to be involved in emotional disorders.

I do not know much about mindfulness. Is it the same as grounding in wicca?

D

Deliah

Hello, I'm not aware of Wicca. Do tell me. There is scientific which shows that the Amygdala shrinks when mindfulness is practiced and because it has these connections it means that hormone output is properly regulated again. Thanks for your message Kerome. D x

D

Deliah

The first part of my message was for Te and the second for Kerome in case that is un clear. D x

E

Eigau

I don't know a lot about wicca either so maybe this is one for a wiccan. Wicca is where the word witch comes from. A practicer of wicca is called a wiccan. I do not practice wicca, and if grounding is the same as mindfulness I would not practice it personally. The principle of mindfulness does make a lot of sense though.

D

Deliah

Ah, thank you. No mindfulness is not the same a s grounding, but grounding is also very useful to us. Check it out if you are interested. There a many books on the market at the moment. Some offer an eight week course. I have personally enjoyed learning to the practice with another person, but am working through a book too. It's really wonderful and life enhancing. D x