• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

The Power of Empathy

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Very effective video and describes the difference between sympathy and empathy very well.

T

toast

i'm quite an empathic person and find it hard not to feel it. i've learnt through experience to be careful who i empathise with. i've been used by friends to give comfort only to be stabbed in the back when i've served my purpose (empathy theives). i'm much wiser now (but still foolish) and can usually sense when i'm being played that way.

empathy can be a bad thing without compassion. many sense your pain and use that vulnerability against you. i'm quite detached most of the time to protect myself. i hate being cynical so i'm trying to work out how to make better use of empathy than i currently do.

sorry to be negative, it was a good video -- a reminder not to close myself off completely.
:cry:

R

ricko4

i have BPD AND APPARENTLY MY PSYC SAYS I HAVE NO EMPATHY SODOES MY PARTNER BUT TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH I DONT NO IF I DO OR DONT

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

i have BPD AND APPARENTLY MY PSYC SAYS I HAVE NO EMPATHY SODOES MY PARTNER BUT TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH I DONT NO IF I DO OR DONT
Actually, that's not true for me and i'm speaking as someone with the BPD label.
I have too much empathy, to the point where it becomes detrimental.

I don't understand how other people can lack such empathy. That's where the misunderstandings happen.
I presume everybody thinks like I do, and so take their actions very personally because I wouldn't dream of treating someone in the way i've been treated.

Gajolene

Gajolene

I have too much empathy as well, but I have also learned to shield myself from it. I have has people in the past who have no empathy for others in my life because of mental illness and those times were very abusive circumstances towards me. JD when he was first developing his illness disconnected from reality and couldn't connect with his empathy in the worst of his disorganized states as well but he wasn't abusive just unable to connect. It's very strange to me how a person can function without some sort of empathy. It's very cold and lonely IMO.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
blog15 Mental Health Experiences 1
W Mental Health Experiences 2
vulch Mental Health Experiences 3