• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

The physical symptoms of anxiety?

I

iyiyi

Hi guys. I've always suffered with anxiety. Some years worse than others. I have actual physical health issues, and then physical symptoms that I believe are part of the anxiety from the health issues (vicious cycle).

I have some very concerning symptoms that have come and go. They are back and just had some questions.

I have a very strong brain fog/out of it/hard to focus/dizzy feeling. Pretty much every waking minute of the day. Could this be anxiety/stress?

I also have a weird tight/numb feeling on my face (cheeks) arms (forearms) and legs. It's not actual numbness (hurts if I pinch it). Could this also be anxiety?

Does anybody else have these symptoms?

I have my first actual panic attack a week ago, and these symptoms seem to have also gotten worse after that (but they were present before it as well)

Thanks so much for any help.

J

Julie41

Hi iyiyi
A very warm welcome to you 🤗
I too have had anxiety for quite a few years but after a death in the family earlier this year it became unbearable - non stop
My meds were increased but I still feel that I’m not coping well with only a few good days & more bad ones
I am a worrier & dweller - and this causes me to be anxious - the most awful part is the physical symptoms as you’ve mentioned
The foggy head - not being able to concentrate the dizziness & lightheadedness- the feeling of a woozy head & slight off balance.
I only have numbness occasionally but do have muscle twitches in my arms & legs
Also I get hot/cold & do sweat more sleep is also a problem
Are you on meds at all?
X

I

iyiyi

Hi iyiyi
A very warm welcome to you 🤗
I too have had anxiety for quite a few years but after a death in the family earlier this year it became unbearable - non stop
My meds were increased but I still feel that I’m not coping well with only a few good days & more bad ones
I am a worrier & dweller - and this causes me to be anxious - the most awful part is the physical symptoms as you’ve mentioned
The foggy head - not being able to concentrate the dizziness & lightheadedness- the feeling of a woozy head & slight off balance.
I only have numbness occasionally but do have muscle twitches in my arms & legs
Also I get hot/cold & do sweat more sleep is also a problem
Are you on meds at all?
X
Thank you!
I'm not on any meds. The few times I have tried them I felt physically terrible and could not stay on them. I am seeing a therapist and I do take some herbal supplements.

Did you find that meds helped some of your physical symptoms?

I am a worrier and dweller too. Putting chemicals in my body is one of the things I worry about, which is another reason it's hard for me to be on meds.

OCDguy

OCDguy

I'm no Doctor or Professional... In my opinion stress can totally stop someone's Mind from functioning... The way I perceive things is to look at things from the perspective of "Quality of Life". Perhaps we should be asking ourselves what changes need to be made in order to give ourselves a quality of life. This in my opinion is the key to happiness and a better state of Mind. Hope this helps :)

SL01

SL01

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hello, and welcome!

My symptoms vary, but I also have difficulty concentrating. I have a hard time sitting still. I also tend to clench my jaw. I’m typically not aware of this until I’ve done it for awhile. My hands get clammy at times, but other times I get chills. Sleep is definitely a problem too.
I’m a worrier/dweller as well.

J

Julie41

To be honest when the GP increased my dose in March this year I would have taken anything!!! I was a mess and couldn’t cope with all the mental/physical Symptoms
I know if I go back & tell them that I’m still suffering daily then they will increase it again !!
And I don’t want that !! It’s obviously not controlling my anxiety fully but I’m terrified of coming off it
I’ve had CBT and it does help when I’m able to focus but when Im so scared nothing works and I end up in bed - then I’m ashamed because I wasn’t strong enough
how bad is your anxiety?
Do you feel you are getting any better
X

I

iyiyi

To be honest when the GP increased my dose in March this year I would have taken anything!!! I was a mess and couldn’t cope with all the mental/physical Symptoms
I know if I go back & tell them that I’m still suffering daily then they will increase it again !!
And I don’t want that !! It’s obviously not controlling my anxiety fully but I’m terrified of coming off it
I’ve had CBT and it does help when I’m able to focus but when Im so scared nothing works and I end up in bed - then I’m ashamed because I wasn’t strong enough
how bad is your anxiety?
Do you feel you are getting any better
X
My anxiety is pretty bad. Had a panic attack last week. I've always struggled with chronic health issues and most of my anxiety stems from that. So it's just a vicious cycle of getting more physical symptoms because of anxiety, because of the physical symptoms. It's terrible.

And then I never know what is anxiety or an actual medical issue.

B

Berg

Hi iyiyi

I would go back to your doctor and see if there’s any other medications you could take to help with this - anxiety is very treatable but I am a strong believer that therapy itself isn’t enough. Perhaps for some, but it never was for me.

Remember medications have side effects initially but after a week or so you’ll come out the other end and the side effects will stop and you’ll soon notice your anxiety will be much better! Of course it’s entirely up to you but there will be a medication out there that could be really useful for you, sometimes it takes some trial and error before you get there :)

Buispirone is a good one if you haven’t tried it - its specifically an anti anxiety medication and generally little side effects.

Mirtazipine is what I take - very sedating so helps sleep and massively reduces anxiety.

I hope this is of some help for you! :)

T

Texas210

Yes im having brain fogg and kind of a out of it kinda feelin like weird feelin like a off kinda feelin anxiety sucks i hate feelin weird

N

navhealth

hi i too have these sympyoms and have the same question as you..is this anxiety or something else..

my numbness and tingling is mainly my arms..sometimes my legs..but its seems to come and go throughout the day everyday!

It seems to be random..i was just sitting down relaxing and suddenly a slight numbness..then the thoughts start racing. So makes me wonder is it anxiety..because i dont actually feel or think im stressed or anxious about anything at all..until the symptoms start.

I am back at work and gym has reopened so my routine is starting to get back to the norm this week.

I am going to give it a week and if this numbness etc still keeps happening daily i will be phoning the GP..again

I hope this gives you a bit of piece of mind..that you are not alone in feeling this.

How long does this numbness etc last for you? is it everyday?

T

Texas210

hi i too have these sympyoms and have the same question as you..is this anxiety or something else..

my numbness and tingling is mainly my arms..sometimes my legs..but its seems to come and go throughout the day everyday!

It seems to be random..i was just sitting down relaxing and suddenly a slight numbness..then the thoughts start racing. So makes me wonder is it anxiety..because i dont actually feel or think im stressed or anxious about anything at all..until the symptoms start.

I am back at work and gym has reopened so my routine is starting to get back to the norm this week.

I am going to give it a week and if this numbness etc still keeps happening daily i will be phoning the GP..again

I hope this gives you a bit of piece of mind..that you are not alone in feeling this.

How long does this numbness etc last for you? is it everyday?
Yes thanks for replying it helps and it does give me a piece of mind knowing im not the only one having these symptoms but the most weird one is this brain fogg and not feelin like myself symptoms im like u if this doesn't stop ima give my GP a call also and do you still have the brain fogg / out of it feelin?

N

navhealth

Yes thanks for replying it helps and it does give me a piece of mind knowing im not the only one having these symptoms but the most weird one is this brain fogg and not feelin like myself symptoms im like u if this doesn't stop ima give my GP a call also and do you still have the brain fogg / out of it feelin?
yes i do..i probably get that feeling about 3-4 times a day..mainly when im just sitting idle..suddenly i would feel slightly foggy then i need to catch myself or take a little walk to shake it off. It is a horrible feeling.

My GP have been very bad over this. Even up to a point i just seem they are ignoring what i am saying. If this persists i am going to ask for the CBT course thing so I cab try and talk this out of me

I am hoping that getting back to my normal pre lockdown life will make this all go away.

I was perfectly fine this morning and when i went gym. Just an hour ago my symptoms started. Was well pissed off lol

T

Texas210

yes i do..i probably get that feeling about 3-4 times a day..mainly when im just sitting idle..suddenly i would feel slightly foggy then i need to catch myself or take a little walk to shake it off. It is a horrible feeling.

My GP have been very bad over this. Even up to a point i just seem they are ignoring what i am saying. If this persists i am going to ask for the CBT course thing so I cab try and talk this out of me

I am hoping that getting back to my normal pre lockdown life will make this all go away.

I was perfectly fine this morning and when i went gym. Just an hour ago my symptoms started. Was well pissed off lol
Yes same here i was ok last week no new symptoms but monday this out of it feelin came and now thats wat im dealin with as we speak

N

navhealth

Yes same here i was ok last week no new symptoms but monday this out of it feelin came and now thats wat im dealin with as we speak
has you numbness been since then too everyday? i have the foggy and heavy chest at the moment too

T

Texas210

has you numbness been since then too everyday? i have the foggy and heavy chest at the moment too
Yes not so much of the numbness but jus like foggy brain my chest feels heavy and sometimes my nose gets stuffy