The perfect-imperfect of being

Kerome

Kerome

I was reading a post this morning on a Buddhist forum, and it was about mindfully being wrong. The conclusion we came to together was that if you could observe your reaction to being wrong, you could find out a great deal about yourself. Many people who have difficulty acknowledging that they are wrong do so out of a desire to maintain a narrative about themselves, a conceit or a self-image that shields their ego from too great an honesty.

For me, this was the beginning of piercing a veil, of putting together some pieces of a new self view that i had been working on for a little while. It is a more honest picture than before, less positive but more complete. More stark, less forgiving, more grown up. It is a process I would recommend, because in the end it means leaving behind your illusions, and it gives you something you can build upon. After all, if you can’t see yourself clearly, how can you love yourself, and if you can’t love yourself how can you love anyone else?

It occurred to me that within me there had been a war, between good attributes and bad attributes. I had considered myself “good”, and had been unwilling to see the “bad” elements. Whenever I found something that was considered bad I had tried hard not to acknowledge it, to forget about it, to eradicate it if I couldn’t.

Today I realised that what was more true was that every soul is a perfect-imperfect, a wabi-sabi, a perfection with just a few flaws that highlight its mortality. While striving to be the best that we can, we shouldn’t partition ourselves, or turn away from those areas where we have fallen short of some ideal.

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

Mindfully being wrong is part of the package. Mindfully forgiving ourselves for not being nice all the time is also part of the package. I try to be the best nurturing mother to myself when I make mistakes. Some of us are hyper aware of our shortcomings. We have to love the package.

Last edited: