• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

The only way to cope

• Thread starter TheSadnessWillLastForever
  • Start date
TheSadnessWillLastForever

TheSadnessWillLastForever

I've been having a lot of anxiety lately. Not just anxiety, I am balls-out terrified, all the time. I get these moments of sheer panic for no reason, out of nowhere and my brain screams at me "You know what you have to do to feel better" If I don't SH then the terror does not subside, it gets overwhelming. I am SH-ing everyday now just to feel okay. I'm also scared to tell anyone, especially therapists, the extent of my SH because I don't want to get sent to the hospital. I am actually completely opposed to the idea. I just don't know what to do or who to talk to. I'm alone and I'm scared.

babyblue22

babyblue22

I've been having a lot of anxiety lately. Not just anxiety, I am balls-out terrified, all the time. I get these moments of sheer panic for no reason, out of nowhere and my brain screams at me "You know what you have to do to feel better" If I don't SH then the terror does not subside, it gets overwhelming. I am SH-ing everyday now just to feel okay. I'm also scared to tell anyone, especially therapists, the extent of my SH because I don't want to get sent to the hospital. I am actually completely opposed to the idea. I just don't know what to do or who to talk to. I'm alone and I'm scared.
Your not on your own ❤

S

Sugaree

You are not alone here. I understand as well and I know those times of sheer terror. For me sh is a big part of feeling lonely,really lonely. Keep posting or read others posts,it helps me.

2Much2Feel

Hey, TheSadnessWillLastForever, really sorry to read this and hear how bad you're feeling. I too have been there, am once again facing the warm weather unable to wear short sleeves w/o feeling self conscious. For one thing, SH is not something you have to do, no matter how many times you've done it before. I wish I could go back so much from decades of it, and try so hard to get others to stop before it gets worse. You will get through this, and it doesn't have to end in SH of any type.

Do you know any quick DBT skills that may help you pull through the intensity of these feelings? For me, the easiest is diversion, like watching a funny tv show or listening to happy music. Others are cold shower, doing some type of busywork if you have the energy (I rarely do at these times). Also, there's always the recommended snap of a rubber band around the wrist. Use as many as you want, at least they don't leave scars and possibly endanger your life. It can get out of hand before you realise you have no control over what you've done, and that is a terrifying feeling.

I hope you can look at some YouTube videos on DBT, keep talking here, reach out to someone close to you, or contact your therapist. This doesn't have to feel this bad with the right skills. Praying for you.

2Much2Feel

How are you doing today?

S

Sugaree

Sorry to hear that you are anxious today. Me too. It gets so tiring after awhile. Be kind to yourself,and when you are ready maybe you will be able to sort out some thoughts. I am here and many others.Come on to the forum anytime and you will not be alone.:hug: