• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

the one

C

Chuck

my name is chuck and i am new to this site. i have a BPD i could offer good friendly advice if anyone needed it. i am not judgemental, i have a good personality and a cracking sense of humour. i am 35 years young.i alsofind advice from other people extreamly helpful,:welcome::welcome:

C

Chuck

thanks for that. i have suffered with a borderline personality dissorder since i was 16 i am 35 now and still suffer i would like to talk to other sufferes about our experiences and offer some good advice and input.:welcome::welcome:

emski

emski

:welcome: Chuck

You will find lots of friendly people here who can share experiences

D

Dollit

Hi Chuck and welcome to the forum - as you well know learning is a two way thing and it's always good to have people who are willing to share their experiences.

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Hi Chuck and welcome to the forum. This is a great place, full of support and friendship.

If you haven't done so already you might want to check out the introduction thread by indie cindy who is also BPD. It's in the same folder as this thread.

Take care and enjoy!

I

indie_cindy

Hi Chuck, i also have borderline personality disorder (and bipolar). Took me a long while to accept i have borderline as its such a derogatory term. I dont know if i can offer any good advice as right now, i'm really not doing too well. But what i have learnt is that recovery from bpd is all about learning to control your actions and turn around negative thinking patterns, recognising triggers etc. It's very hard especially if you have had bpd a long time. Your behaviours become very ingrained and turning it around sometimes feels impossible. Lucy x

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
Hi Chuck and welcome. :welcome:

I've been given that derogatory label of borderline as well...along with several other diagnosis. I'm 47 and many things have gotten easier with age and many things have gotten harder.
I hope you post more. See you! :)

D

Dollit

Can I just ask a question. I don't have a diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder so this may seem an obvious question but it is driven by a desire to understand. Why do you find the diagnosis derogatory?

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
I'm not sure who you are directing that question to Dollit, but I'll answer it.
Many people have the opinion that borderline women are an atrocity. Run for the hills, has been quoted.
We're great when it's good, and hell on earth when it's not. So they say.
I think I'm a creative character at best,..I'm not a monster like some would have it.
My past is the real atrocity...the horrors done to me. It's a miracle I'm as well adjusted as I am.
Does that answer your question at all?

I

indie_cindy

Hi Dollit, i have the borderline diagnosis too and i also see it as derogatory. I guess thats because it suggests that you have a fucked up shitty personality. At least thats how i see it anyway. It's just not a straight forward diagnosis like other mental illnesses.

D

Dollit

Actually it doesn't answer the question of why so much as tells me how you see how "people" perceive you. Who are those people and why does it suggest the "fucked up shitty personality"?

I don't know anything about BPD - I could pick DSM IV of the bookshelf now and read the diagnostic criteria but it doesn't tell me anything - that's why I'm asking.

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
The term “borderline personality disorder” implies that there is no hope for treatment as many mental health professionals unfortunately still believe. There is thought that this illness borders on schizophrenia, thus the term “borderline.” Between neurotic and psychotic.
Imagine you are faced with a minor stress - a flat tire, a clogged-up sink, or a trivial disagreement with your spouse, friend, lover, child, etc. Instead of finding an acceptable solution, your mind seems to panic. A sense of unease develops, possibly causing discomfort in the stomach or chest. Feelings of anxiety complicate the increasing sense of uneasiness and restlessness. This is followed by progressively worsening anger - eventually becoming a rage so strong it overwhelms you - even though you realize it's excessive. Over the next few minutes to hours, other negative sensations creep in - including memories of past hurts - until you are experiencing virtually every bad emotion a human can feel.
Excerpt from Dr. Leland Heller.

For more info:
http://www.biologicalunhappiness.com/bpd.htm

D

Dollit

So do you find the term derogatory because it doesn't define anything accurately - which few psychiatric labels do - or because there isn't treatment for personality disorders?

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
I find it derogatory because of the lack of willingness to understand the symptomology. To deal with the patient is more than some people are willing to undertake. It's too stressing.
I wish to god caregivers would look to the reason we are as we are. That would generate compassion so much more than a label borderline which has been tainted to mean a real bitch.