• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

The one place I felt safe...

Unique1

Unique1

On a Sunday morning sometimes I go to the one place I feel safe, when I'm up to it, say hello and have coffee. Today someone from my past came in, I felt sick and scared, if I spoke with this person I new it would go back to the others from my past.I left , making excuses before the person saw me, I just couldn't face the questions.
I feel so low, so trapped. It's slightly complex, the people from my past don't know I've moved, so speaking to one of them could bring that out.
It's ruined my day, I'm so upset about it.

I know people will say don't worry about people but I do and it's really a big thing to me and important they don't know I'm living close to them.....

katya

katya

On a Sunday morning sometimes I go to the one place I feel safe, when I'm up to it, say hello and have coffee. Today someone from my past came in, I felt sick and scared, if I spoke with this person I new it would go back to the others from my past.I left , making excuses before the person saw me, I just couldn't face the questions.
I feel so low, so trapped. It's slightly complex, the people from my past don't know I've moved, so speaking to one of them could bring that out.
It's ruined my day, I'm so upset about it.

I know people will say don't worry about people but I do and it's really a big thing to me and important they don't know I'm living close to them.....
Please try to remember that your past is your past, and people shouldn't judge you for it. If they do, they're not worth your time. I know it's hard and you're suffering right now. But there's no reason to believe that this person would've just bitched about you to the people you know now. It's highly unlikely. Hope you can put this out of your mind soon and start to feel more confident.

Sending big hugs. You don't deserve to feel this way.

AliceinWonderland

AliceinWonderland

Staff Member on Leave
Sorry this has been so upsetting and threatening for you. I hope you feel a little safer now x :hug:

F

Fruitloop

I struggled with this for some time before I realised you don't have to talk to them. You don't have to explain or justify yourself to anyone. There's lots of people I used to know who I've bumped into. Anxiety goes through the roof at first but after a couple of times you just get that sick feeling and its a bit hard to breathe, think of a really mild panic attack. When people have tried to talk to me I say Hi back and continue what i was doing. If they try and start a conversation I always say I've got somewhere to be /I'm in the middle of doing/waiting for something/someone then make myself look busy/keep walking if its in the street. You can't avoid them forever. Its really scary at first, but it does get better when you know how to handle the situation. Its all part of the recovery.

Hope you feel better soon.