• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

The NHS Trust/s and complaints and people not listening to people with mental health diagnosis

L

Lilac

The NHS Trust/s and complaints and people not listening to people with mental health diagnosis

Why is it that no trust deals with complaints? They are meant to care after all.

Also why is it that people with mental health diagnosis don't get listened to? I spoke to someone recently whose friend got sectioned (and the Police/NHS trashed her place) and he said you can't listen to her. Why? Is it because she might just say everyone wants to lock her in and drug her? The trust who detain me say that through PALs one would get their voice heard (which they blatantly don't do).

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

It is difficult to get your voice heard, I agree.
Personally I wonder if PALS is used as a bit of an independent filter to see if complaints made are just some crazy person whining or are in genuine need of being resolved.
I have found PALS have taken me seriously, so has your friend or you tried contacting them?

I had an experience of complaining to PALS recently, and although the issue was addressed, I didn't really appreciate the way things unfolded. The member of staff with whom I had a complaint about confronted me during a session, and basically asked me to withdraw my complaint. It pissed me off, because I didn't actually name the member of staff, for the very reason that I didn't want a face-to-face conversation about it.
It made me really uncomfortable.

So yeah, I do think the system is really inadequate, but I think there are genuine reasons things can't be resolved i.e. confidentiality, funding, etc. x

L

Lilac

I have tried speaking to PALs, maybe I'll try and see them next week when I'm off one day and seeing the Pdoc. Thanks for the post. xx