• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

The neuroscience of restorative justice

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Daniel Reisel: The neuroscience of restorative justice | Talk Video | TED.com

Daniel Reisel studies the brains of criminal psychopaths (and mice). And he asks a big question: Instead of warehousing these criminals, shouldn’t we be using what we know about the brain to help them rehabilitate? Put another way: If the brain can grow new neural pathways after an injury … could we help the brain re-grow morality?

rasselas.redux

rasselas.redux

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Another berzerker in a white coat. Reanimator is a great horror with a serious message

rasselas.redux

rasselas.redux

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Fair enough. I dont agree that you can grow a moral conscience literally. The neuroscientist begs to differ

If you want to know where the next psychiatric barbarism is heading from, looks to neuroscience

What start with psychopaths will end with us all

"Brain implanted controllers for mood and behavioral conformity saved my life"

rasselas.redux

rasselas.redux

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Yet again I get the wrong end of the stick. I'm still not very skilled at social media...

The complete humanistic angle of dr bob on speaks to me and I know what he meant regarding fear and psychosis

Although I dont think that psychosis equates to psychopath although when the two arise in one individual it can be difficult not to assume that pure evil has manifested

The majority of people with psychosis are nonviolent and more at risk from the violence of others

I know that You know this but you never know whos reading

Thanks for article... You're on a roll :)

L

letalis

It sounds progressive.

And then I am reminded of Clockwork Orange.

Clockwork'71.jpg

Ted Talks are not as progressive or radical as I had once believed. None of the talks I've watched ever made an attempt to upend the status quo — to think radically and uniquely. This is no exception.

There has been a movement to pathologize criminality. I don't see this as a step in the right direction. Present-day scientists would like us to subscribe to an individualistically determinist outlook. Everything, according to science, can be reduced to genetics and brain cells. Obesity, addiction, and increasingly, criminality, can be explained by genetics.

We can no longer blame the environment or personal behavior for life's evils — genetics is responsible. Defective individuality is responsible. Rather than focusing on reducing poverty, or disincentivizing high-fructose foods — improving the individual's environment — science would have us ignore these factors and implement a medicalized solution. This allows us to avoid making difficult decisions to improve society for the benefit of all.

Last edited:
rasselas.redux

rasselas.redux

ACCOUNT CLOSED
There is a transhumanist agenda. To over come human problems make humans obsolete.

The mammal that evolved itself.

S

supergreysmoke

The temptation is to remove the bad bits, then what sort of person would you trust to decide what the bad bits were?

rasselas.redux

rasselas.redux

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Too true.

I havent a clue what can be done about the transhumanist agenda. Probably nothing to STOP it. Micro ECT implants are approved in usa for ocd. I dont k of how many have had the operation but suffice to say it's happening already.

My personal number one conspiracy theory is that psychiatry has become a front for the alleviation of humanity from the planet which is either delusional or insightful depending on your faith system.