• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

The Netherlands

T

Twylight

I was wonderin if in Amsterdam - where cannabis is legal and sold openly in street cafe's - If more people suffer from psychosis ?

A

Apotheosis

[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ksrI6fu232w&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ksrI6fu232w&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]​

T

Twylight

I know the the occurence of Schizophrenia affects 0.8% - 8 in a thousand

And this is true throughout the world

I was just curious if Holland had a higher percentage

A

Apotheosis

I am not familiar enough with the statistics, but it is a good question. From what I can remember different strains of cannabis affect outcomes. I think that it's strains higher in CBD's - Are more likely to lower incidences of psychosis; while strains higher in THC can increase occurrence. There is also a question mark over age; it would appear that there is some link to cannabis usage & increased susceptibility to psychosis in younger people. As far as I know there is no definite proof as to cannabis being a cause of schizophrenia; although cannabis is linked to psychosis. Certain strains of cannabis can however exasperate symptoms.

If the question is of interest to you; then why not run some Google searches?

T

Twylight

Yep, that's a good idea
I've had a quick look, but nothing as yet

T

Twylight

where I live there's 80 flats housing about 200 adults

I know of 6 people with MH issues - which is 3%.

A

Apotheosis

where I live there's 80 flats housing about 200 adults

I know of 6 people with MH issues - which is 3%.
Which is about right for severe forms of mental illness. If we were counting general breakdowns, milder depressions, general anxieties, emotional upset etc etc etc - then most, if not all the country is mad. This isn't to make comparisons; but those most severely afflicted with very severe MH experiences; I would say are a pretty small percentage.

Schizophrenia is 1 in a hundred - that accounts for 1% - count the other 2% as an assortment - of likely severely depressed.

I used a lot of drugs - no doubt the drugs contributed to things, exasperated things & made things a whole lot worse. Are they to blame & to cause for all the upset? - NO - I don't think so. The condition I have been labelled with - Schizophrenia - has not had sole cause in drug use. If that were true them the Millions of other habitual drug users in this country would all be schizophrenic too.

Last edited:
T

Twylight

Which is about right for severe forms of mental illness. If we were counting general breakdowns, milder depressions, general anxieties, emotional upset etc etc etc - then most, if not all the country is mad. This isn't to make comparisons; but those most severely afflicted with very severe MH experiences; I would say are a pretty small percentage.

Schizophrenia is 1 in a hundred - that accounts for 1% - count the other 2% as an assortment - of likely severely depressed.

I used a lot of drugs - no doubt the drugs contributed to things, exasperated things & made things a whole lot worse. Are they to blame & to cause for all the upset? - NO - I don't think so. The condition I have been labelled with - Schizophrenia - has not had sole cause in drug use. If that were true them the Millions of other habitual drug users in this country would all be schizophrenic too.
Agreed....