The Narcissistic Mother

megirl

megirl

I have bumped into a few people/friends she has. she only has 4 people in her life and banged into 2 of them maybe twice over the last 2 or so years they ask how I am? Gosh I had a fractured neck and multiple fractures throughout my body my mother turns up and not once did she ask how I was it was all about her. All the nasty stuff she says about the very few people in her life... I dont know confront her? She won't change. Better to put the energy into doing something for me and choose my friends to be family

C

cookoo

Hi cookoo

I have a covert narcissistic mother. It took me 50 years to realise that it wasn't me that was crazy.
As a child I felt very scared and confused by the world...still am now I suppose.
I couldn't understand why I was with this family that didn't seem to want me. She was very controlling, she controlled my thoughts, how I felt, how I acted etc.

Extrovert narcissists are quite easy to spot with their grandiose mannerisms but the covert or introvert narcissist are harder to spot because they are sly and sneaky. Because of this she has made a very good job, in my childhood and adult life, to convince the rest of the family and anyone else she knows that I am the problem and a bad person. She comes across to others as a poor old lady who only wanted the best for her daughter.

As an adult, I've found it very difficult to access my feelings and to know what I want to do with my life.

I've had anxiety and depression since I was 18 and find life very difficult. Trust is a biggy as well, I've never been able to trust anyone.
Hi baileys,

Thanks for your post. Did you know you had depression and anxiety when you was 18 years old? I too feel I had anxiety from a very young age but I was never really in control of my own emotions so I didn’t know if what I was thinking or feeling was out of character.

B

baileys

Hi baileys,

Thanks for your post. Did you know you had depression and anxiety when you was 18 years old? I too feel I had anxiety from a very young age but I was never really in control of my own emotions so I didn’t know if what I was thinking or feeling was out of character.
I knew I had anxiety at 18, it started way before that but that's when I first recognised what I suffered from