The Narcissistic Mother

C

cookoo

Who has had one? how did it affect your life and how did you deal with it in your childhood and adulthood?
Im suffering with depression and anxiety because of what i believe is having a narcissistic mum. at the age of 31 i am seperated from my husband and have no friends because i was so insecure.

M

megirl

I believe my mother has narcissistic traits.
A very self-righteous self-centered person.
She can't see that what she does affects others, all she wants to see is that everything affects her.
She lacks insight and has no empathy for others.
My self-worth was taken off me because of her.
She pushed my friends away for me.
Isolated me and had me believe I was a nasty evil individual.
List goes on.

Anyway not having her in my life anymore has been a huge positive. It took me 40 years to get here.
All the years up to now I was still that hurt little girl inside trying to please and earn her mothers love

C

cookoo

sounds a lot like my mum. After you stopped talking to her did you ever feel like being the bigger person & forget what she put you through? I’m 31 & only after suffering from severe depression & separating from my husband have I realised that my mum is the root cause of it all.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I was told to tell my mum about her abuse but I couldn’t do it. She would only have denied it or said I deserved it. The sad thing is when she got to her 80s she got dementia and changed into a gentle if slightly dotty old lady. I only wish she could have been like that as we were growing up ( not the dementia bit)

C

cookoo

I was told to tell my mum about her abuse but I couldn’t do it. She would only have denied it or said I deserved it. The sad thing is when she got to her 80s she got dementia and changed into a gentle if slightly dotty old lady. I only wish she could have been like that as we were growing up ( not the dementia bit)
How did it affect you in adult hood not letting your mum know how you felt? I’ve always expressed how I felt to my mum she knows I pretty much hate her as a mother but she also managed to deny or find an excuse to her poor parenting skills.

C

cookoo

I believe my mother has narcissistic traits.
A very self-righteous self-centered person.
She can't see that what she does affects others, all she wants to see is that everything affects her.
She lacks insight and has no empathy for others.
My self-worth was taken off me because of her.
She pushed my friends away for me.
Isolated me and had me believe I was a nasty evil individual.
List goes on.

Anyway not having her in my life anymore has been a huge positive. It took me 40 years to get here.
All the years up to now I was still that hurt little girl inside trying to please and earn her mothers love
sounds a lot like my mum. After you stopped talking to her did you ever feel like being the bigger person & forget what she put you through? I’m 31 & only after suffering from severe depression & separating from my husband have I realised that my mum is the root cause of it all.