• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

The Myth of Schizophrenia

schiz01

schiz01

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Hvs6EbDgTNM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Hvs6EbDgTNM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

The myth of schizophrenia. We are a growing collective of visionaries around the world who call for the non-medicalisation of human suffering. EleMental Ireland promotes a wellness model, not an illness model.

Alternative realities, alternative belief systems, extreme terror, confusion, severe emotional turmoil, deep insecurity, altered states of consciousness, visions, hearing voices, paranoia and difficulty trusting are some of the phenomena encountered and experienced by trauma survivors/ psycho-warriors as a response to trauma/ abnormal circumstances and by spiritual adventurors in psycho-spiritual crisis or on a search for deeper meaning.

There is a general mis-understanding about so-called schizophrenia. Schizophrenia is NOT a brain disease. It is a deeply symbolic and meaningful experience. John Weir Perry and Carl Jung are among the most brilliant writers on this subject, in my view.

In the words of R.D.Laing it 'is a special strategy that a person invented in order to live in an unlivable situation.'

'How is it that some spiritually passionate people become labelled 'schizophrenic' and find themselves being treated as 'mental patients'? How is it that a spiritual crisis becomes diagnosed as a disease?' Peter Breggin, Toxic Psychiatry.

The label of schizophrenia implies a life-long sentence of 'mental illness' to be managed by major neuroleptic drugs. We live in a culture where trauma is taboo and where we prefer to label human distress than look extreme trauma in the eye.

People who experience so-called schizophrenia are largely misunderstood and silenced. I find it astonishing just how much of the general public has been brainwashed by the bio-medical model and believes that so-called schizophrenia is a simplistic chemical imbalance of the brain. It is in fact a highly complex coping strategy.

Just to clarify, though the term 'mental illness' is quoted on this video, I myself prefer the term 'mental/ emotional distress' or 'overwhelm'. It is important that we change language.

Google CASL (Campaign to Abolish Schizophrenia Label) and sign the petition.

There are lots of wonderful blogs and websites around this subject on the net.

"When I talk to God, it is called praying. When God talks to me, it is called schizophrenia."

Music; 'You Cross My Path' by The Charlatans. They rock!

Last edited:
oneday

oneday

Yes Yes Yes

All makes good sense to me! Thanks schiz01.

CASL (Campaign to Abolish the Schizophrenia Label) website: www.caslcampaign.com

I

IntrospectionFtw!

Whats the history of this illness? before they started prescibing medications for it? i mean i know of alot of people who were touched by maddness artists poets politicians who still lived productive lives, i assume alot were kept in asylums and treated horribly lobotomised etc tortured experiemented on.
i dont know maybe we should be grateful i mean were would we be if they never discovered neuropletics? its hard to say. i think unfortunatly some people are chronically ill and for them medications are the best option but for others maybe not.

schiz01

schiz01

All makes good sense to me! Thanks schiz01.

CASL (Campaign to Abolish the Schizophrenia Label) website: www.caslcampaign.com
I signed it and encourage others to do the same

The old saying the squeaky wheel is the one that gets the most oil comes to mind.
The more noise people make the more pressure will be placed upon authorities to develop new and better ways of treating the mentally ill.

Last edited: