The mystery that is alcohol

H

HoggiePoggie

Today I heard on BBC R2 they were debating taxation on cider in a bid to reduce alcoholism in young people in Britain, when a statistic was brought up: over 112,000 alcohol related deaths in Scotland (my home country) last year alone which got me wondering why do we drink it if it's such a volatile and potentially dangerous mixture?
I do not drink alcohol as I am methopobic to the point where if I think someone has spiked my juice I make myself sick in the hopes of ridding myself of alcohol in my system so I don't know the whole hype about alcohol. What is it about alcohol that people like?
I'm hoping to overcome my methopobia so I can actually cope around friends who drink as I feel left out when they go to parties and I can't because of it. Hopefully if some light is shed on this it might help me to understand my phobia.

Last edited:
Not_Crazy_Yet

Not_Crazy_Yet

Today I heard on BBC R2 they were debating taxation on cider in a bid to reduce alcoholism in young people in Britain, when a statistic was brought up: over 112,000 alcohol related deaths in Scotland (my home country) last year alone which got me wondering why do we drink it if it's such a volatile and potentially dangerous mixture?
I do not drink alcohol as I am methopobic to the point where if I think someone has spiked my juice I make myself sick in the hopes of ridding myself of alcohol in my system so I don't know the whole hype about alcohol. What is it about alcohol that people like?
I'm hoping to overcome my methopobia so I can actually cope around friends who drink as I feel left out when they go to parties and I can't because of it. Hopefully if some light is shed on this it might help me to understand my phobia.
The thing about alcohol is it gives you a buzz and makes you feel goofy. Its not the best thing though as you get hooked before you realize you're drinking too much.

B

Boring

i have methopobia too, i guess. i don't drink, smoke, or do drugs. my older brother did drugs though. and my younger brother drinks sometimes. i'm dirt poor, so i can't afford those stuff.

but yeah, as not_crazy_yet stated, i think alcohol acts like a hook, maybe even like street drugs sometimes?

H

HoggiePoggie

I've been asking round the family and alot of people use it as a social lubricant, but I can agree that it is addictive. I just don't see why someone would deliberately drink to oblivion even if they're not alcoholics. Looking at social media for instance at any party everybody is absolutely hammered and it just doesn't make sense

Not_Crazy_Yet

Not_Crazy_Yet

Well its like this, when you first start drinking one or two beers is enough to get you buzzed. Then before long it takes 3 or 4 to have the same effect. Then it takes 5 or 6. Then before long you cant get buzzed without drinking yourself into a stupor. You develop a tolerance to its effects and you're always "chasing" that high. But just like with street drugs you'll never get the same effect of that first high.

Kerome

Kerome

It’s funny, I’ve had that reaction recently to alcohol after being totally sober for eighteen months - and that’s for the first time in my life, that I feel like having a daily beer. But I don’t much like the second half of the experience, after the high passes and you feel kind of dull.

M

Mr Ploppy

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I used alcohol to combat anxiety and induce sleep. To the point where I was doing a bottle of vodka a day almost. Once I was ‘on it’ I couldn’t get off it.

Then I ran out of money and had to come of it.