• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

The most terrifying experience I've ever had

C

CrazedNomad

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum but certainly no newcomer to anxiety. I've been dealing with it since middle school.
Yesterday, I had the most terrifying dream(?) that I've ever had in my life. I'm not sure whether to call it a dream, though, as it took place entirely in the space of reality.

Well, here's a little background first. I've been really stressed the past few days about my courses at school. I may have to tack on another semester and that's really freaking me out, sapping all of my resources.

Anyway, so last night as I was going to bed I was constantly bothered by a feeling of dread, not so much dissimilar to what I experience during the day.
But, as I was drifting off to sleep I was disturbed by closed-eye visuals of strange things like clouds and electricity (and I'm not on drugs, either). Then, I'm jolted awake by an auditory hallucination of very loud oriental chimes.
After this I fell asleep for a bit, I think.
But when I woke up, I couldn't tell the difference between myself and my surroundings. I couldn't tell if I was laying in my bed or if I was over by my desk in terms of sensation (I could see that I was in my bed).
My mind was racing, fearing that I would be stuck like this forever.

After this I fell asleep for a bit longer. When I woke up again, I had a delusion that I had missed a midterm that didn't exist.
I jolted out of my bed and in my extreme frustration threw my mattress off of my bed and to the other side of the room.
Then, I went to check my computer frantically looking for the information on the midterm that I had missed.
When I couldn't remember the course name, I began freaking out, fearing that I was losing my mind by forgetting such obvious things.
After what seemed like forever but was really only a minute or so, I realized that it was just a nightmare and went back to bed.

I have never experienced anything like this. In fact, it made me feel like a schizophrenic. I'm very afraid of my bedroom right now and have been avoiding it all day.

That's besides the point. The point is, should I be worried? This is truly the most terrifying experience I've ever had.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I imagine the dream was a reflection of your current stress levels.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Since it's a one off, I wouldn't be too worried.
You said yourself that you're really stressed at the moment, and it's understandable that your dreams are reflecting that high anxiety.
See how it goes and if this happens again.