• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

The morning after the night before

K

KittyCat92

Maybe the wrong section of the forum for this but I just have a question.

Does anyone who self harms find the stage where it’s still ‘fresh’, like the day after, a comforting feeling?

It’s the day after now and I don’t regret it, I find the fact that I can still feel what I did comforting. Am I going mad?

Ghost_Owl

Ghost_Owl

Forum Guide
You are not going mad but you are engaged in a maladaptive coping mechanism. Part of it is physiological relief, similar to a drug high because of the endorphins released. In this case, as a response to the pain. Which has a numbing soothing effect that also seems to work on emotional pain. That calm state for that reason can linger. Although that effect will taper off eventually and have you wanting to self injure to get it back again. Especially when whatever stressors come back again. This is why self-injury like this is considered addictive to begin with.

The downside is to get the same relief you may end up escalating the damage in an ever-worsening cycle. It can then become a vicious cycle that forms into a habit that feels helpful in the present but in the long term will likely cause you greater problems. To the point it's no longer a choice but an urge. Plenty struggle to fight that urge because it becomes so ingrained. Then later on in life, they then have to deal with the visible consequences and the questions that can be provoked from loved ones, friends and even strangers.

However good you feel right now this is a path you really want to try and avoid going down. I have seen what it leads to and how hard people have to fight that ingrained urge and how intrusive it can become for them. It is its own source of awful stress and becomes another battle to face in life. If you are self harming and finding relief in it,you likely have battles enough as it is.

Here I hope is a helpful resource with further resources on self-harm within it. I really hope you can find a better outlet for whatever is prompting you to do this in the first place.