• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

The mental health problems of celebrities

L

Lizaje

ACCOUNT CLOSED
It triggers me how people react to news about some celebrity having some mental health problem. Most of us are normal people and most of us are largely ignored, but if celebrity X has it — then it's a big deal, then it's a serious issue.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I understand what you are saying, i just think for me, knowing anyone who has killed themselves, really hits me hard. It is like a member of the gang giving up.

Somebody on this forum killing themselves would have the same effect, just because it would be someone i knew, knew about, even though not a celebrity.

LittleMissNameless

LittleMissNameless

I think it's a catch 22 where it brings awareness toward mental health and sensationalizes it in an unhelpful way.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I think because there aren't enough celebrities to give a balanced view of a diagnosis, so people not very experienced in it may think all with bipolar disorder are like Kerry Katona (although now we have Catherine Zeta Jones to balance that out). BPD i don't know many, they sometimes say Amy Winehouse BPD or Bipolar. Schizophrenia, all i know is A Beatiful Mind, which i like.

BPD i suppose would be the main character of Good Will Hunting. That is actually the best example i think.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J People 4
R People 1