• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

The Man in the Mirror

shaky

shaky

Hi Folks,
When I was in mental hospital last year I experienced meeting a man in the mirror. You know when you look into the mirror there is a man (or woman) there, well I was convinced that he was real and I knew what he was thinking, although he didn't talk.#
Anyway, as I got better he went away.

But recently he has been back, but in a different form. He doesn't bother appearing in the mirror anymore, but he occassionally makes known what he is thinking AND I CAN'T GO AGAINST HIS WISHES! I am so far from being where I was when I was in hospital, I am doing well at work and living a pretty normal life. Yet I'm worried about this man in the mirror.
It's so nice to have someone to tell you what to do, and he hardly imposes at all. He hasn't actually said anything for weeks, I just carry on where he left off.
When I tried defying him in hospital he got angry and it upset me, so I don't like to do it again. And why should I? Maybe he knows what he is doing?

I can't understand why I'm writing all this balderdash when this fellow can't exist. AND YET HE DOES!

Shaky

P.S. I'm seeing the GP tomorrow for my regular appointment. Should I mention the man in the mirror? It might upset him (the man, not the GP).

S

Steve5513

I see that you have seen your GP at the time of me posting this. How did it go? Did you tell the GP about this man in the mirror?

J

james122

In my opinion bro, hearing or seeing a man in the mirror isnt normal, i would definatly recommend telling your gp about it, what if the man says something for u to do and its a really bad thing you dont want to do but u did it because you were scared, then you would regret it. Please see a gp or a friend about it i dont like people beeing in situations like yours, im currently going through something similar with a family member.

I hope everything works out well. Take care.

shaky

shaky

Post consultation

I did see my GP and I told him about some of the things I've been doing (like self harm), but I didn't mention the man in the mirror; I thought about it, but couldn't bring myself to do it. :unsure:

Anyway, he is going to send me for counselling (when it gets sorted out at the end of October) so that will hopefully be a good thing. If the man in the mirror comes back I shall definitely tell my counsellor.

The man in the mirror has not manifested for a few days and I'm hoping maybe I've got rid of him. My symptoms (when I get them) seem to have altered to a more normal depression (feeling low and wanting to do nothing)

But, today I am feeling better :). I've been keeping myself happy by running around naked :redface:

S

Steve5513

If the man in the mirror comes back I shall definitely tell my counsellor.
This would be best. ^^^

For keeping happy, exercise will always do it because of the endorfins (I think that is the word) it releases.

Good to hear things seem a bit better for you!

(y)