The Irrationality of Alcoholics Anonymous

H

Haley

AA has worked for my husband for twenty eight years. There are other approaches to alcoholism that are also good. Whatever floats your boat.

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Have to say that 12 step got me clean & sober, i owe it a debt of gratitude, & in part has kept me sober for over 13 years. Where would i be without it? With all the other drunks/druggies in active addiction - No thanks.

We can bring anything up for criticism in this imperfect World. & for all it's critics 12 step endures. What also are the alternatives being offered?

i don't know what's rational either about the mass labelling & drugging of society? But everyone leaps to the defence of all that as well.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
cpu if it was an attack on psychiatry you'd be supporting it, i feel a bit the same about aa, some seem extreme and when i said to the psychiatrist i don't get on the bus drunk she said so far

Did ask the gp about that alcohol drug he said it can only be prescribed by a hospital

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
my gp said you can't control it you can only give up, he should know apparently gps have the highest rate of alcoholism of any proffession

*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

I went to Al-Anon (for the partners of alcoholics) but I found it too pseudo-religious and regimented. I felt divorced from reality there. But if AA works for some...can't knock it.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
aa meeting tue evening the last 2 times i've come back and got pissed, last time they asked me if i was going to witness, seems they assumed i was recovered

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
aa meeting tue evening the last 2 times i've come back and got pissed, last time they asked me if i was going to witness, seems they assumed i was recovered
What have you got to lose by being honest & giving it all a go? Your obviously an alcoholic.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
What have you got to lose by being honest & giving it all a go? Your obviously an alcoholic.
for someone who questions the validity of psychiatric diagnoseses your remarkably willing to diagnose people alcoholics

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
a few yrs ago i went to some alcohol place, they said you had to be off alcohol for 24hrs before seeing a counciller, when i said i'd been off it for 24hrs they said i didn't have an alcohol problem

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
my support worker says i haven't any issues with alcohol, my sister said anyone who drinks 4 cans a night plus wine has an alcohol problem

I

incognito

Well, if there is a more effective treatment than AA, this is a good thing. A lot of people don't like AA, unfortunately many of them return to excessive drinking and suffer badly, if there is something out there that can help them then I for one think that if it is proven to be effective then it should be available.

As for the title of the piece. AA has never claimed to be rational. It can be effective.