• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

The invisibility of our problems

jajingna

jajingna

It seems to me that you can live with someone even for years, and not really know what they are going through. You can't get in their head, obviously. It's hard enough sometimes to understand things you can see and hear, that is behavior. I sometimes say and do things that make little sense. Or maybe there's a psychological reason, just not a logical one.

How much more difficult it is to grasp the causes, or the invisible forces behind behavior. I guess that's why psych doctors make the big bucks. But they're guessing a lot of the time. The one psychiatrist in my town was seeing patients all day long, ten minutes once a month or whatever. Fortunately for me I got to speak with a social worker in depth during my illness. But I'm sure it was still hard to figure out what was going on. The illness was so weird.

Murasakibee

Murasakibee

It seems to me that you can live with someone even for years, and not really know what they are going through. You can't get in their head, obviously. It's hard enough sometimes to understand things you can see and hear, that is behavior. I sometimes say and do things that make little sense. Or maybe there's a psychological reason, just not a logical one.

How much more difficult it is to grasp the causes, or the invisible forces behind behavior. I guess that's why psych doctors make the big bucks. But they're guessing a lot of the time. The one psychiatrist in my town was seeing patients all day long, ten minutes once a month or whatever. Fortunately for me I got to speak with a social worker in depth during my illness. But I'm sure it was still hard to figure out what was going on. The illness was so weird.
Yeah, I understand what you mean by that. That's why I like the quote "Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind."
Any the people we know ans love, we don't really know what it's like to be them. Sometimes I have a hard time knowing what's it's like to be me, so I don't imagine I could really know what is happening with anyone else.
I only know what they have told me, and so I try to be understanding based on the information I have. Like I know the reasons my mom has such strange behaviors on cleaning, but I don't know why she acts certain ways and I never will because I am not her.

jajingna

jajingna

Oddly enough, I used that saying, "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle," as a signature quote on a forum years ago. You're safe in the assumption that nobody has had smooth sailing all through their years. What sort of person would that be, one who well into adulthood, has barely known a patch of trouble? We'll never know because that person doesn't exist.