• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

the internet makes us depressed

M

mad as a hatter

i was just reading a story on sky news that says the,ve done a survey and using the internet can make u more depressed or it might even cause mental health problems tho they can,t tell that for sure what ever nxt i certainly find the intenet helps me a lot with my distraction off things goin on my head and other stuff i just want 2 now what others think off this

Y

YellowBrickRoad

I agree. The internet makes me feel better most of the time. Using the internet to talk to friends I can't meet in person and going on forums and cheery websites distracts me from my negative thinking and intrusive thoughts. I can see how some sites can make people feel worse but I try to avoid negative sites and the news I've stopped watching and reading.

S

Sarax

I completely agree that often if helps.... But I can also see that for people who don't suffer with any mental health problems can find alot of triggers on sites that may cause harm. It's just down to the way we use the net and being responsible enough not to go on sites that are likely to cause problems.

T

TOONAFISH

i read a story on this too, but what they also mentioned that it could just be that people who are already depressed spend a lot of time on line.

i think spending too much time online isnt good for you. it is great to be able to have people to chat too, but it is nice to do other things too.
x

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Yes - a spurious correlation. Sometimes I have difficulty coping with the enormity of it all (and it gets me angry when I can't remember that really good site that someone mentioned on that radio programme :mad:) but on the whole I think it's a good thing. Without it we wouldn't have this place and for me this has been a god send.

M

mad as a hatter

honey

i agree with u on that 1 i wouldn,t have found this place either it took me yrs 2 have the confidence just 2 get a laptop and and everythig that comes along with it i,m lucky my bro a bit a computer whizz so if it goes wrong he tells me what 2 do but i,m finding i can do a lot off the things myself now so it makes me feels good not depressed and i can also come on 2 the forum at ne time the day or nite it,s great i,d be lost without it now

T

telemetry9

The internet has been my lifeline. I'm not actually very good at socializing on the internet. lol. I miss the spot in that category as well.

So I try to find things that interest me when I have the energy to do that.

If I didn't have the net I would read or find people to write to but it certainly hasn't made me more depressed. It's helped me get the information I needed in order to survive.

Of course - there are cyber bullies out there. An increasingly common part of every forum it seems. I've left a couple of forums because of bullies (and my need to stand up to them).

Y

YellowBrickRoad

There is a lot of cyber bullying on the net. Parenting sites are awful for it, I've left several because of it. And there is a growing trend in Trolling. (google it's such a long explanation!). Facebook has become a place for bullying and obscenities.

T

telemetry9

It breaks my heart - in a forum like this that we are still not immune to it. Maybe more vulnerable actually.

Where there are people who are vulnerable - that attracts that oh so special type of person. How they sleep at night and how they get away with what they do and say - I have no idea.

I now believe it is those who see bullying and do nothing about it and yet have the power and authority to change it - these people are worse than the bullies themselves. The bully is a sociopath with a major personality disorder but what possible justification do those who sit back and enable it have?

People are often afraid to speak up. It's a sad reflection on human society and I've witnessed it happen on far too many occasions. Bullies are very clever in telling those with the power to change things - what they want to hear and bolster their egos. They act on the vulnerability of other people's pride and ego and feed that to such a degree that the bully is enabled and allowed to continue.

The "oh he or she is not so bad" syndrome. When people are suffering on ground level because of the bully and what they insidiously get up to.

Y

YellowBrickRoad

I despise bullies. They kicked me when I was down and I still suffer from the hurt physically and mentally they inflicted on me. I don't have the self esteem to take them.

Bullies think themselves powerful and all knowing. Trolls on the net always use big words and trick questions to confuse their victims and make them even more powerless. I am not the cleverest person on the planet. I'm a pretty small fish compared most people on this site and most others. I'm fairly new so I don't know the rules or the way of the regulars. So I am, along with a lot of other new people, an easy target.

Although on this site I feel I can vent my problems. The journal I love. I often write things that no one is interested in even I feel slightly bored reading back on them. The journal is one place I feel safe and I'd hate that to be taken away.

The internet is always going to have its pros and cons. It's just sad that people take advantage of it.

I

IntrospectionFtw!

the internet can be quite addictive online games social networking sites...it depends really its like anything you need to balance it with other things at first if your having problems in the outside world it can seem like a refuge you can explore a fantasy world if yours is shitty..but theirs no subsitute for real people and eventually you will become depressed lose ur social skills if you log too many hours on the net.

T

telemetry9

I believe most people have common sense enough to figure that out for themselves.

Y

YellowBrickRoad

The internet is VERY addictive. Before I decided to seek proper medical help for depression I would spend too many hours on the net. On social networking sites and Msn. Now I've started helping myself and getting help off others my internet use has gone down a lot because I'm spending more times outdoors or indoors enjoying other activities. It's all about finding a balance.