• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

The Holocaust

J

Jessicamiller

So a few months ago I found out I lost approx. 100 of my relatives in the Holocaust. They weren't grandparents, or first cousins or anything like that. Just relatives, but relatives nonetheless. My extended family isn't really that big so losing 100 in Germany/Poland was significant. There were no pictures, but a few details. Many of them were shot, others sent to Auschwitz and Treblinka.

I watched a few videos of Jews in ghettos, and related things. The description of the video mentioned that everyone in that video was killed. Looking at the people in the video I couldn't help but wonder if I looked at one of my relatives...oddly I feel like I 'miss' them, even though I did not know them, I wasn't alive then. I can't watch or read any graphic holocaust related stuff it brings me to tears. I tried to discuss this on another forum but just got abuse for it.

I had dreams which involved some kind of 'purgatory', it looked like a ghetto. I 'saw' some relatives wandering around, like they were in a hurry. In the dream I tried to run up to one of them from behind. When I touched him he just dissolved and then all of them were gone.

I'm also very sensitive to violence/murder against Jews (not to sound racist that's just how I am)

Last edited:
LORD BURT

LORD BURT

You are the first person I have met who has had this experience.

The holocaust still disturbs me today - I had a passing interest in it and read some books on the matter.

I went to school with a lot of jewish people, I feel I know them and have sympathy for them. Some of my jewish classmates have relocated to Israel now.

Your relatives were heroes, you can take solace in that. What the Nazis did was beyond belief.

D

djooj

You are the first person I have met who has had this experience.

The holocaust still disturbs me today

Your relatives were heroes, you can take solace in that. What the Nazis did was beyond belief.
Hi, I have a bit interest in The Holocaust. Totally agree with brat.
Im sorry about your relatives, dreams. aorry about it all. Horrific is not the word.

Last edited:
J

Jessicamiller

So yeah I was up till 5 AM last night. Got some stress going on unrelated to this also.

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

I have a slightly obsessional interest in the Holocaust because it affects me emotionally so profoundly (and I used to have to teach 8-year-olds about it) - although I am not Jewish and have no personal connection with it whatsoever - it's the fact that no matter how much I read about it or watch films and documentaries about it, I can never understand it. Yes - it represents the very worst aspects of humanity but it also makes me humble and wary because I know it could happen in any society at any time including my own, and that drives me to fight in my own insignificant way against the possibility of it ever occurring again - at least in my own society.

If you have any tendencies towards depression or anxiety however, I would strongly advise you to try and avoid dwelling on it. We can do nothing about the past. Only the present and to some extent the future matter. Look after yourself first.