• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

The harmful concept of Schizophrenia

v01ce5

v01ce5

Marius Romme and Mervyn Morris outline their suggestions for a more helpful and cause-related alternative to the harmful concept of schizophrenia.

Nursing Times, March 2007

M

maudikie

Voice5

Having read this in entirity I find it unhelpful and very contradictory. I cannot see it being of help to either patients or carers. I can't say much more about it, other than comment that many people with schizophrena have NOT had bad childhood experiences, or been mistreated, and I know many families who are caring and loving. Some may not be so fortunate.
This accusation is harmful (in my opinion) both to patient and family relationships. Not all people who have schizophrenia hear voices - they may have visual affects. If so, the Art Therapy is a very useful "treatment". I think this should be read with care and some scepticism.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
From what i gather that marius guy and the other guy are just a laing version who doesn't say it's the family's fault, thats why he's popular with rethink carers

Personaly have heard theories about cause, in my time been told it's a label and doesn't exist. also been told i'm stabilised on meds and as long as i take the drugs the illness does not exist

I'm getting old now whatever the theory, i've lived with the results of an, ilness/label for many years, theories i've heard enough in my time, i just hope the theory that the drugs shorten life span isn't too serious in reality

M

maudikie

Rambo

The illness has always existed. The name has changed several times. The treatment has improved a great deal. As with any severe and enduring illness the patient may not feel really well.I am sure you have heard of the people with M.S,with polio, and with arthritis. It is unfortuate that these things cannot as yet be cured, but if they can be contained to give the person a reasonable quality of life, and treatment can assist in this, it is surely worth taking the treatment.
I can speak from personal experience as I have osteoarthritis, and it is at times very painful. I take the pills, and do as much as I can, but in my early years I led a very active life, and find it very frustrating that can no longer do all the things that I want to do, With other severe and enduring illnesses it is mostly a question of coming to terms with the restrictions it puts on life.
I agree that not enough is done and the old question of the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer remains. But if one can come to terms with the restrictions the illness puts on :):)one's life, and find out some of the things that you CAN do, it can make y ou much happiier.
Think hard about that, and what you are able to do. Good luck and best wishes.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I've heard that line that it's the same as physical illness, but those same drs who say that treat physical ilness totally differently.

At that i've been rediagnosed, one psychiatrist said "Why did you tell the police you were schitsoprenic when i say your not" i said "They asked me what the drugs were for and thats what it says in the british pharmaceutical"

One CPN used thed line 3 psychiatrists had said i wasn't schitsoprenic as a reason to leave me when i started getting harrassed by problem kids and the going got difficult, since then at least 3 psychiatrists have said i am achitsoprenic, those in power have it every which way, the only certain thing is they win you lose

M

maudikie

Rambo

What family have you?
Have you ever had a Scial worker?

M

maudikie

Are you looking for a Brazilian girl then? What is going on in the forum?

M

maudikie

Looked at the BNET recommended and it says it is not available.

M

maudikie

Don't worry. i looked it up and it's not available, and there are all sorts of funny things on it. I don't mean ha!ha!funny. I should forget it if I wee you.