• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

The Four Stages on the Path to Enlightenment

A

Apotheosis

As we walk forward on the path toward full enlightenment, different parts of ourselves live at different stages of healing. Some parts can be amazingly healed and insightful, while others can remain buried and out of touch. Our different parts traverse the various stages at their own speeds, seemingly independently – but ultimately connected to our core of perfection by our universal thread of truth.

The most primitive stage on life’s healing journey is the contest. This is the stage of grandiosity, acceptance by the norm, dissociated happiness, and approval by the parents. The parts of us that are winning the contest stop our journey before it has even begun. Here we deny our deepest traumas so intensely that we fool even ourselves into believing they never happened – and that we are already healed. It is for this reason that dissociation mimics enlightenment. Here we idealize the parents, which allows us full unconscious liberty to replicate the worst of our past in our present. Here we do not look beneath our surface, and if fate goes our way, we will never have to. We remain happily distant from the misery lurking in our guts.

Yet where parts of us lose the contest we evolve into the second stage: suffering. This is the stage of depression, failure, misery, and inertia. Here we wallow in seemingly purposeless pain. The silver lining around our cloud of parental idealization has been stripped away, but the cloud remains intact. We still wish to be rescued by our parents and their replicated stand-ins, but we lack the requisite pain tolerance to be able to acknowledge the impossibility of this. Here we live in tortured ambivalence, and we spend out hours and days trying to get others to love us in the way our parents never could. Part of us wishes to devolve back into the seeming pleasure of grandiosity, but the healthier part recalls how cruelly that route already failed us.

Those parts of us with the capacity to face our terrors enter the third stage: grieving. This is the stage of purposeful struggling. Here we unearth the truth of our past, which allows the eruption of the stinking cesspool of our buried traumas. Here we witness the horror lurking behind idealization of the parents and we work to disassemble their lies. Our honest confidence leads us into the face of the hurricane, because our soul and its allies tell us that blue skies lie on the other side. Here we are humble, here we confront the truth of the worst of our parents, either in interaction with them or through whatever means will best help us integrate the truth, and through this our journey rages forward.

With each demon we conquer we take a further step into the fourth stage: enlightenment. This is the stage of emotional integration, psychic balance, and inner peace. Here lie the deepest goals of mankind. All want to know truth, and the enlightened person achieves it – in all parts of himself that arrive in the final stage. Here we grow able to distinguish light from shadow and water from mirage. Here we nurture the evolution of our primitive sides instead of expressing them destructively. Here we devote the best of ourselves to healing. Here we no longer traumatize others in the very patterns in which we were traumatized, but instead replicate the best of ourselves – and generate beauty in the world around us. Here, having healed our wounds, we share freely of our gifts, because now our gifts are accessible.

http://www.iraresoul.com/stages.html

J

jamesdean

I would like to say that I'm in enlightment in the most though it dosent always feel like that because of poor mh, there are some things that come with age that I would never of been able to explain before now that maybe my parents understood when they might of talked to me at this age n I'm sure there is more to understand life is such a mystery,

I know that my spiritual guide knows eeven more though she said the last time I seen her she just loves to see me because theres always so much happening in my life, I'm so interesting. That also I have so much to offer this world it isnt always easy for me to portray the postive but sometimes like I have said before that through all the depression I am a special person.

Q

quality factor

A time for reflection

A man can know nothing of mankind without knowing something of himself.
Self-knowledge is the property of that man whose passions have their full play, but who ponders over their results.

Benjamin Disraeli.

It is far easier to be wise for others than to be so for
oneself.

Duc de La Rochefoucauld.

A

Apotheosis

The inscription at the Temple of Apollo at Delphi says it all -

gnōthi seauton - "Know yourself"

Cogito ergo sum

Q

quality factor

re: knowing yourself...

Charles Dickens says:

'A wonderful fact to reflect upon, that every human creature is constituted to be that profound secret and mystery to every other'.

In contrast to knowing yourself and I don't think we really ever do, they say that some people know each other better than they know themselves.

How much knowledge of yourself does one need to attain enlightenment or spiritual insight as in Buddhism for example?

A

Apotheosis

How much knowledge of yourself does one need to attain enlightenment or spiritual insight as in Buddhism for example?
A Zen Buddhist would likely say that there is nothing to be attained/obtained.

Who knows? It would appear to be a state of awareness, or way of 'being' rather than any possession of a particular piece of knowledge.

Last edited:
A

Apotheosis

'A wonderful fact to reflect upon, that every human creature is constituted to be that profound secret and mystery to every other'.
The mystery of the human heart & consciousness are eternal. Even enlightenment I don't think is an explanation of certain things.

keepsafe

keepsafe

So what happens when you are constantly stuck in phase three ffs
I wanna be in stage four and smug with it:rolleyes:

KS:hug:
I want to be content and happy and all knowing
Bugger

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
don't we all keepsafe!! enlightened would be smashing, but just not daft would do me!!