• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

The emergency psych team?

L

Louise 28

Founding Member
Hi,
Im after a bit of reassurance really, perhaps Im paranoid- but I dont think so.

I have depression, and have been getting what I know are indicative signs that Im getting 'low'.

I used to live 250miles away from where I live now (had to move back in with family- mainly money reasons, but others too).
Since I moved Ive been a lot better.
I moved here Oct 2007, and registered at the local GP's.
But I had to be re- refered to the mental health service here. And so far, Im only on a waiting list for cognitive therapy- I had 2 meetings with a 'nurse' (I thought she was a CPN- but I think she may be something else now?)

I Knew I needed help soon, as Ive been in tears at least about once or twice a day for over 2 weeks.

I phoned the Drs surgery, as the nurse lady told me to do if I needed help before I began Cognitive therapy with her.
They wouldnt ask her to contact me, or to book an appt with me- with her, so I asked for an appt with my GP.

Did something wrong at work(only minor thing- started to print something wrong size- not actually a big deal- boss was not at all worried).
I couldnt cope, I cried, and couldnt stay calm enough to continue.
Went out to talk to another collegue, to try and 'get my head cleared' but still just cried and cried....
Boss said shed ring the GP to get em an earlier appt, but I said my Mum could do it easier for her... knows my name address quicke etc...

GP referred me to emergency psych team.
They are coming out tomorrow.

At my old home I used to be able to ring up to see/ speak to my Key worker, a Community Psych Nurse if I needed support or help, or another CPN at that centre if mine was away/put, or the local Psychiatrist if it wasnt so urgent.

Why are the emergency psych team coming out to me?
I dont need sectioning, just some guidance (I think)
Are they just my GPs way of getting me into the local Psychiatric system do you think?
Im just a bit sort of confused, I had a system of getting help and now its all different.

Anyone know anything about this?
Any reassurance for me, please.
Even just to tell me it will all be OK soon, Im sure it will get better- well probably- it just dosent feel like it right now.

please talk to me. I just want someone to talk to me, who understands.

D

Dollit

GP referred me to emergency psych team.
They are coming out tomorrow.

At my old home I used to be able to ring up to see/ speak to my Key worker, a Community Psych Nurse if I needed support or help, or another CPN at that centre if mine was away/put, or the local Psychiatrist if it wasnt so urgent.

Why are the emergency psych team coming out to me?
I dont need sectioning, just some guidance (I think)
Are they just my GPs way of getting me into the local Psychiatric system do you think?
Im just a bit sort of confused, I had a system of getting help and now its all different.

Anyone know anything about this?
Any reassurance for me, please.
Even just to tell me it will all be OK soon, Im sure it will get better- well probably- it just dosent feel like it right now.

please talk to me. I just want someone to talk to me, who understands.
I would imagine that if a nurse is practising cognitive therapy then they are a CPN. I know a few nurses who practice and they are all CPN.

If you've got an emergency referral with the emergency team then it is a way of getting you in the system quickly. They can't section you unless you demonstrate that you're a danger to yourself or others in a way that can't be contained and I don't think you've got that far.

Ask the psychiatrist to formulate an Advance Care Directive which is then sent to your GP. It lists the steps you take if you feel yourself becoming ill and at what point you should contact the GP or the psych.

My key person is my GP but I also ring my consultant if I need to or failing that I email them both. I know that having their email addresses puts me in a privileged position but they both actually get quite a lot out of me.

Tell the team who turn up exactly how things are feeling and your old system of seeking help and tell them it worked for you and that you'd like to instigate the same way of seeking help where you are now.

And remind them if need be that just because you have a mental health problem it doesn't mean to say you don't know your own mind. xx :hug:

L

Louise 28

Founding Member
Thanks Dollit,
That makes sense, but its nice to hear it from someone else.

Im not a danger to myself or anyone else, so they shouldnt section me then I dont think. And I dont think sectioning me would help me (well not as I stand at the moment).
Ive been at the suicidal stage, and Im only in the thinking of it, not actually comprehending/ planning doing anything to kill myself at the moment.
I just knew I needed help before I got to literally suicidal. And i think im going to get it by the sounds.
Its just a bit confusing having to make/ having a new system to start/ follow.

I think I'll show them my old care plan nootes, and list of my triggers and indicators of me getting 'low'.
thanks Dollit.

D

Dollit

If you're having thoughts but don't want to follow through then it's known loosely as suicidal ideation. If you thought you wanted to follow through but didn't want to die then you would feel differently. I've been there so many times Louise - 6 or 7 times a year since I was a teenager.

Great idea about getting your old notes out. Let me know how you get on. :hug:

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
They can't do much, they haven't the resources, they're bark is more than they're bite

Learnt that the hard way

D

Dollit

Rambo - Louise needs support and encouragement so I think that's what she should have.

L

Louise 28

Founding Member
thanks.
yeah, i dont realy want to die. Just scaring me, because Id been so sort of settled/ no suicidal thoughts/ ideas for ages.
I just knew I had got worse when las week (or the one before?) I happened to go to the top floor of a multi storey car park (whilst doing something for work where I drove there).
There were no spaces lower down, and when I locked my car I saw two ladies smoking and chatting, and they were looking over the waist height t wall at stuff, and I just had this urge to get on the wall and just jump. I think I surprised myself by thinking like that, it was almost, just an 'opportunist' thought. Not planned, I hadnt wanted to kill/ harm myself that day, I just almost saw the oppertunity, and realy had to concentrate on positive stuff Ive been taught before, to not act upon my impulse.
Since then the ideas havent gone away again, so I know I need to stop thinking like that. Hence needing to grab the psych help again.

L

Louise 28

Founding Member
ok, if the emergency psych team cant do too much, thats sort of ok for me, because I think its a CPN I need more- well its them Id have sought out in my old home.
Yeah, I think like Dollit says, they are maybe just the quick way in.
But I just dont want to be sectioned. Dont know why, I just dont want that I dont think I need it.

D

Dollit

That's good that you saw the signs and are acting on them. I also have those sorts of feelings at times and once I've got to a place of safety I've been taught to examine them and work out if it was a suicidal impulse or was it the way that everyone feels sometime when at a height - it's amazingly common apparently.

Looking at an earlier post you say you moved in October 2007. I was talking to the consultant today and said that my recent episode could have been triggered by a combination of two things but that I'd dealt with them and moved on. His reply was that just because we deal with things intellectually doesn't mean to say that we have resolved them emotionally. The heart takes longer than the head sometimes. Perhaps some of the way you're feeling is delayed stress due to the move?

L

Louise 28

Founding Member
I think youre right, Ive coped with things, but not totally resolved/dealt with them.
Ive got a lot of recent events in life that im trying to deal with/ have happened.

Separated from husband oct 2006, but divorce finally finished feb 2008- that has been both a relief and upsetting (but thats a normal response to divorce).

Lived with a guy as a couple for about 6 months, but it wasnt working, and I stayed longer than I probably should have in retrospect- but there were two lovely dogs there, and I didnt want to leave them- even though the guy will/ does care for them.

Even though I eventually moved out and kind of stopped being a couple with that guy, we still talked on the phone every few days, and I was able to talk openly- well, as open as I ever realy am with people I know.- he was being a bit strange toward me, and I kept saying something was wrong, and then for one reason (wont say why- could identify him/me) but havent been able to contact each other for a while, and I think this was a blessing in disguise, because I was usualy upset after talking to him. But Ive lost that close friend in my life, and my husband, and although my family are so good, they just arent the same. My family would love me even if I was horrible, friends choose to love/ be close to you.

New job, less skilled and lower paid than I am capable of- but also more convinient and less stressful, and I still enjoy it, and can currently live off my earnings- so thats good.

Im able to see friends, but feel so behind them, they are mostly happily married and most are just having babies (seem to be the age when majority are starting families) and I feel like Ive gone backward.

Also lost my half of the marrital home, was mutual sale, and it was fairly split, I got what I put into it, plus the small money it'd gone up by- but that's pretty much gone now, on life expenses and solicitor/divorce costs, living costs....so i feel like I had a material 'something' (share of house) and now have nothing to show for it. Seems like I wasted it, or lost it- I dont know.

I know these are not life threating, and not as bad as what others are expiriencing- but I still need to be able to stop myself crying as much/ at inappropriate times (eg in the middle of work, for ages, and ages, and not realy being able to stop).

D

Dollit

That's a lot to go through in a short space of time. Give yourself a break. If it was anyone else then you'd be telling them the same.

Give yourself the gift of time. And by giving yourself that gift then you're allowing yourself to heal in a slow and gentle way and your knowledge of yourself will improve and the new Louise will be stronger and healthier.

When I split up from a relationship (married 8 years, last guy 13 years) I take a long time out before I start thinking of relationships again and it's so strengthening.

As for other people being married and having kids, it's not a race and don't treat it like one. Just get well first. :hug:

L

Louise 28

Founding Member
thanks Dollit.
nice to hear other peoples perspective. because i know mine is not quite as rational as it normally is.

D

Dollit

But you will get there because you want to keep trying. As I'm always being told - you can't deny motivation but just pace it. :tea:

Libra1

Libra1

Founding Member
Hi Louise, you did the right thing by coming to MHF tonight :) I am sending you a big hug:grouphug:

I also suffer with depression and my tabs are working well at the moment.

You describe many events the last few months, what with moving, change of health carers and job etc. People who are well find such events very difficult to cope with, so I think you have done really well:clap:

Louise you have a few hours until you are assessed, would it be possible to make a few notes of all the things that are troubling you, do bullet points.

I can't really think of much more to be honest that would be helpful to you, but I will be thinking about you later today and hope that all goes well. Don't forget to come back and post so that we know how you have got on.

Take care, and do not spend time worrying about if you will be sectioned, trust Dollits words - she is the wise one:)

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I do find it a comfort when i contact mental health people that the resources are limited, i guess it's a post code lottery, i also know that stress can make symptoms worse, a lot of major stressors i avoid, always remember a clinical psychologist saying "Schitsoprenics shouldn't have jobs or relationships because jobs and relationships are stressful" one MIND counciller said "He's saying you shouldn't have a life"

That clinical psychologist didn't know i was mentally ill, when i think of his words i now consider theres there actual views and what they tell nutters

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Services 2