• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

The Effect of Antipsychotics on Bone Mineral Density and Sex Hormones in Male Patients with Schizophrenia.

F

firemonkee57

The Effect of Antipsychotics on Bone Mineral Density and Sex Hormones in Male Patients with Schizophrenia.

Psychiatr Danub. 2016 Sep;28(3):255-262

Authors: Bulut SD, Bulut S, Atalan DG, Tulaci RG, Türker T, Gürçay E, Aydemir Ç

Abstract
BACKGROUND: The aim of this study was to compare the bone mineral density (BMD) of male schizophrenia patients with those of healthy controls in order to determine the relationship between BMD and hormonal changes.
SUBJECTS AND METHODS: The study sample included male outpatients between 18 and 55 years old, diagnosed with schizophrenia who had used prolactin-raising antipsychotics (n=23) and prolactin-sparing antipsychotics (n=19) for at least twelve months, along with an age - matched healthy control group. A socio-demographic form was administered, BMD and T-score measurements were performed with a DEXA test, and hormone levels were measured with commercial test kits.
RESULTS: The prolactin levels of the prolactin-raising group (PRG) were significantly higher than those of the healthy control group (CG) and the prolactin-sparing group (PSG). While prolactin levels were normal in the CG, hyperprolactinemia was found in 15.8% (n=3) of patients in the PSG and 65.2% (n=15) of subjects in the PRG. Estradiol levels for the PRG and PSG were similar but significantly lower than those of the CG. There was a statistically significant difference between the PRG, PSG and CG in terms of their L1-4 total actual bone density and T-scores. BMD and T-scores were lower for the PRG in comparison with the PSG and CG, and were consistent with osteopenia. Although not observed for every tested region, a negative correlation was found between age, duration of therapy, duration of illness, and T-scores. A positive correlation was found between subjects BMI and T-scores. A consistent negative correlation was found between total testosterone and L1-4 total T-scores when corrected according to prolactin and estradiol. A linear regression analysis found significant relationships between age, BMI, duration of therapy, duration of illness, chlorpromazine equivalent dose, estradiol and testosterone affected T-scores for some regions.

CONCLUSIONS: The long-term use of prolactin - raising antipsychotic medications as well as hyperprolactinemia and hypoestrogenism accelerate bone degradation.

The Effect of Antipsychotics on Bone Mineral Density and Sex Hormones in Male Patients with Schizophrenia. - PubMed - NCBI

T

Topcat

My boss was just prescribed an antipsychotic to act as an anti sickness med :scratcheshead:

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
My boss was just prescribed an antipsychotic to act as an anti sickness med :scratcheshead:
Yes, they're good for mild anxiety & mild sleep problems as well. A cure all really.

That's good. We need as many people on psychiatric drugs as possible. The result is premature death, but at least it gets the population down a bit.

Nikita

Nikita

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Another Wonderful Health benefit in taking Neuroleptic drugs.
It was high estrogen gave me cancer,so could it be the Amisulpride raised my estrogen cos that raises prolactin,but then again women who aren't on Amisulpride get cancer of the womb and high estrogen.
You see you don't really know do you except the anti psychotics are buggers for the side effects that damage the body!

Nikita

Nikita

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Yes, they're good for mild anxiety & mild sleep problems as well. A cure all really.

That's good. We need as many people on psychiatric drugs as possible. The result is premature death, but at least it gets the population down a bit.
I also found out two weeks ago that they give anti depressants as painkilling treatment for neuralgic problems...WTF!

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I also found out two weeks ago that they give anti depressants as painkilling treatment for neuralgic problems...WTF!
For all the critics, psycho-pharmacology as the mainstay & primary treatment approach with biomedicine is fully embedded into the society/system & here to stay. i think it's probably even a bit pointless to argue against it all at this stage. People with the Caliber of Whitaker, Moncrieff, Peter C. Gøtzsche, David Healy, Peter Breggin & many others, can't really make a dent in it all.

The Pharmacological Industry make many 10's of Billions of pounds in profits every year - they have the bulk of all the resources, medical establishment, mass media & popular public opinion at their disposal.

There's been a slight increase in people speaking out on it all, that i think will increase, but it's going to take a very long time imo to move away from a primarily drug based mental health care system, like 200 years long in my estimation, at least.

T

Topcat

My gp tried to give me amytriptaline for something, migraines maybe? despite antidepressants making me mad