• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

The dreaded airports

S

sapphireblue

I'm lucky atm that I've worked on my agoraphobia a lot over the last two years but airports still cripple me. My dream is to go travelling, I want to start off with Iceland next year but eventually travel the world. There's one big problem for me though, I dread airports. Now, I know many people say with agoraphobia being a mental illness that I have nothing to worry about, but I can't let my previous experiences go. I'm always ill travelling on planes, last time I went abroad with the family - some years ago now, I was just so ill all day, I threw up countless times at the airport and on the plane. I always seem to have a very physical reaction to anxiety and I'm either ill or collapse. I'm so frustrated with it because I want to live my life and feel like I'm watching it pass by but I just can't get myself over the first hurdle. If I was to go by ferry or train I would be much better, I just feel so trapped in airports. Does anyone have any advice or similar experiences? I was thinking of exposing myself slowly, maybe start by doing a local flight to another city in the country and build up to busier and international flights.... I'm just a bit hard on the cash to do "pointless" flights.

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
maybe you could go hang round airports and get used to them.

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Some of the budget airlines do really cheap flights, like under a tenner sometimes. As long as you don't take anything with you and are willing not to eat or drink on the plane it might be affordable for you.

I think the local flights to start with is a great idea.

Virgin offers a thing called Flying without fear but they are quite expensive Virgin Flying Without Fear

(They have great planes, I fly with them every year)

Manchester Airport also offers courses

Manchester Airport : Fear of Flying? See what courses are available to help you

They are quite expensive though but might be worth it in the long run?

S

sapphireblue

Some of the budget airlines do really cheap flights, like under a tenner sometimes. As long as you don't take anything with you and are willing not to eat or drink on the plane it might be affordable for you.

I think the local flights to start with is a great idea.

Virgin offers a thing called Flying without fear but they are quite expensive Virgin Flying Without Fear

(They have great planes, I fly with them every year)

Manchester Airport also offers courses

Manchester Airport : Fear of Flying? See what courses are available to help you

They are quite expensive though but might be worth it in the long run?

Oh wow thank you that is really helpful I will look into this straight away!