• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

The Drama Triangle

Ashami

Ashami

Founding Member
Persecutor, Victim & Rescuer

As I recounted my childhood and family experiences to my new therapist last week, she brought up something called 'The Drama Triangle'. I had not heard of it before. Having been drawn into just such a triangle recently I dediced to google it and have come up with an interesting couple of articles on behaviour coping mechanisms;

http://changingminds.org/explanations/behaviors/coping/regression.htm

http://www.mental-health-today.com/articles/drama.htm

I recognise all three roles well and also recognise how I move from one to another depending on the situation. It's quite scary!

What are your thoughts?

A

Apotheosis

I recognise all three roles well and also recognise how I move from one to another depending on the situation. It's quite scary!

What are your thoughts?
Hi Ashami, interesting links - I personally go with Jung more than Freud, & my own thoughts are that it is natural & normal to gravitate towards places of safety. After an acute psychotic phase some years ago, I felt safest in bed in a particular room in the house, I was a hermit for a year. However, despite being socially withdrawn during this time, I feel it did serve as a regenerative time & lead to growth & eventually increased social interaction; almost like a chrysalis stage. It was healing. It was where I was meant to be at the time.

Have you heard of Transactional Analysis? It is a very interesting psychological model based on "types" & social interaction. It reminded me of the "drama Triangle"

http://www.businessballs.com/transact.htm

singingdollydaydream

singingdollydaydream

Founding Member
Very interesting.
I try hard to communicate adult to adult. With my children I try to be nurturing parent but when I get stressed then I easily become critical parent and hate myself so much for it.
I am also a marshmallow parent, I like that phrase, sounds nice but isn`t any good for my kids.
In my relationship with my husband I often feel like I want to be the child and he the adult particularly when I`m down. He finds it impossible to take on that role and relies on me to be the adult. All too often I am the critical parent in my communication with him.
With other relationships outside my home I often put myself in the role of rescuer only to come a croppa when the victim needs more than I have to give.
All very complicated isn`t it!
Just to throw another spanner in the works I am the youngest of 3 children and struggle with feeling grown up. Birth order also affects us don`t you think?

manic mini

manic mini

Founding Member
thank you ashami for that information i just got lost going in and out of different things some of the stuff just rings so true i think at some time or another i have probably fitted into most catergories it certainly makes you think