• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

The Drama Triangle

Ashami

Ashami

Founding Member
Persecutor, Victim & Rescuer

As I recounted my childhood and family experiences to my new therapist last week, she brought up something called 'The Drama Triangle'. I had not heard of it before. Having been drawn into just such a triangle recently I dediced to google it and have come up with an interesting couple of articles on behaviour coping mechanisms;

http://changingminds.org/explanations/behaviors/coping/regression.htm

http://www.mental-health-today.com/articles/drama.htm

I recognise all three roles well and also recognise how I move from one to another depending on the situation. It's quite scary!

What are your thoughts?

A

Apotheosis

I recognise all three roles well and also recognise how I move from one to another depending on the situation. It's quite scary!

What are your thoughts?
Hi Ashami, interesting links - I personally go with Jung more than Freud, & my own thoughts are that it is natural & normal to gravitate towards places of safety. After an acute psychotic phase some years ago, I felt safest in bed in a particular room in the house, I was a hermit for a year. However, despite being socially withdrawn during this time, I feel it did serve as a regenerative time & lead to growth & eventually increased social interaction; almost like a chrysalis stage. It was healing. It was where I was meant to be at the time.

Have you heard of Transactional Analysis? It is a very interesting psychological model based on "types" & social interaction. It reminded me of the "drama Triangle"

http://www.businessballs.com/transact.htm

singingdollydaydream

singingdollydaydream

Founding Member
Very interesting.
I try hard to communicate adult to adult. With my children I try to be nurturing parent but when I get stressed then I easily become critical parent and hate myself so much for it.
I am also a marshmallow parent, I like that phrase, sounds nice but isn`t any good for my kids.
In my relationship with my husband I often feel like I want to be the child and he the adult particularly when I`m down. He finds it impossible to take on that role and relies on me to be the adult. All too often I am the critical parent in my communication with him.
With other relationships outside my home I often put myself in the role of rescuer only to come a croppa when the victim needs more than I have to give.
All very complicated isn`t it!
Just to throw another spanner in the works I am the youngest of 3 children and struggle with feeling grown up. Birth order also affects us don`t you think?

manic mini

manic mini

Founding Member
thank you ashami for that information i just got lost going in and out of different things some of the stuff just rings so true i think at some time or another i have probably fitted into most catergories it certainly makes you think

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Keesha Mental Health Experiences 5
DwarfRabbit Mental Health Experiences 3
G Mental Health Experiences 8