• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

The Doctor Who Hears Voices.

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Channel 4 said:
Channel 4 Monday 21 April 10pm

The Doctor Who Hears Voices tells the true story of Ruth, a junior doctor, who has begun to hear a male voice telling her to kill herself. Suspended from her job, she turns to clinical psychologist Rufus May who is known for his unconventional approach to treating people with severe mental health problems.
Although she admitted feeling depressed and suicidal to her employers, Ruth knows they would have sacked her immediately if she had told them about the voice.

I'd like us 'all' maybe try and watch this then we can have a really interesting debate/discussion about the programme and the issues it raises. All in say 'I'.

D

Dollit

I will make a concerted effort to remember.

I clicked on your link thing and then into the the bit about manic depression and this is a really well informed site (don't know about the other conditions) and has useful information and contact numbers, websites etc. Nice find. :)

Cal

Cal

Founding Member
Yea ok, i was gonna watch it anyway cos i keep seeing the adverts and it looked quite interesting.

A

Apotheosis

The "Doctor Who", Hears Voices!

& I always thought he was a real Time Lord. Thanks for spoiling it Rorschach. :cry:

I look forward to watching this programme; which obviously is talking some sense. :woohoo:

S

Starbright

Surely it's against the disability discrimination act to sack her for hearing voices and for being ill? They can give her time off to get the condition stable but surely she can keep her job? Nurses who get psychotic can go back to work as long as it's stable. Surely that's true of doctors?

I suspect that Channel 4, in it's usual way, is sensationalising this story in an attempt to get more viewers. I think they ought not to be allowed to. It's criminal. We need and deserve accurate reporting of mental illness.

D

Dollit

Doctors have to prove to be competent - it's part of being allowed to practice. That is just a general observation though and not a comment on the programme. I think I'll reserve my comments on that until I've seen it.

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
I used to live and hang out with a group of medics. One became mentally ill and she had the same issues as this doctor.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I do think that rather than suspend she should be on long term sick as she is ill. I can understand them not wanting her to practice until she is stablized as its uncertain as to how much this would affect her judgement in treating her patients.

I will be interested in watching this, and find out the full story

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Not bad, certainly some things to think about.

Libra1

Libra1

Founding Member
I enjoyed it, thought it could have gone on longer tho'. For me it would have been more beneficial to have seen Ruth at perhaps 6 months and again at 12 months, and in her clinical setting and socializing.:)

Gave me more insight into understanding different areas of Bipolar. Only understood hypomania/depression previously. Well worth watching :)

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Typical I forgot it was on and just got the last 20 mins on C4+ So i dont feel that i can really comment. Iwsill see if its on 4OD

M

maggiemay

Founding Member
DOWNLOAD: 'The Doctor Who Hears Voices'

Typical I forgot it was on and just got the last 20 mins on C4+ So i dont feel that i can really comment. Iwsill see if its on 4OD
Hi Daffy!

Where I have to live, we can't watch TV after 9pm, so I missed it too! :eek:

We normally need a Special Dispensation if we want to watch something late in the evening.

We all wanted to watch it but they said we hadn't given the Committee enough notice.

And the house manager reckoned it would be too disturbing for us to watch!! :scared:

Any way, I just found the film on the Bit Torrent network, so I am downloading it right now! :clap:

http://www.mininova.org/tor/1346615

Ashami

Ashami

Founding Member
I watched this program with great interest.

But I'm confused. Ruth is an actress, right? She is the woman who played Jayne Eyre I'm sure.