The Dentist

Artmuzz

Artmuzz

If anyone has read my posts they will know that I suffer from depression, severe anxiety and panic disorder. The panic disorder came about in 2015 after experiencing a full blown panic attack that also left me like a zombie.

I registered with a dentist a few years ago not long after my panic attack because a I was suffering from toothache and went for my first appointment with my new dentist and freaked out while in the dentist chair.

The dentist gave me the needle and started drilling my tooth but even though my mouth was numbed I could still feel the pain of the drilling. My jaw starting shaking violently whilst wide open and it was a terrifying experience.

The next time I had an appointment I got struck by a panic attack when the nurse called my name and I had to be seated and given a glass water. It was so bad that when I settled down my dentist had to check my teeth in the waiting room.

Since those awful experiences I have been getting appointments to get more dental treatment but cancelling them all the time due to my anxiety and panic disorder.

I was due an appointment tomorrow but cancelled it this morning. However the receptionist pointed out that I am cancelling appointments quite a lot which in return had left me feeling guilty and the guilt has heightened my anxiety. I would of attended this appointment but I am scared that I will experience what a I experienced before with the anxiety and panic.

Last edited:
H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
I have never had any work done the same appt as I saw a new dentist, that is a bit weird.

Are you taking benzos to make your anxiety better?

Artmuzz

Artmuzz

Correction I should of said my second visit I had the treatment done and no I’m not taking benzos for my anxiety.

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
you should get some off your GP for this sort of thing I would think them idea for this sort of thing unless you cannot use them for some reason.

Artmuzz

Artmuzz

I don’t really want to go that route with benzos. Sorry.

InfiniteRectangles

InfiniteRectangles

I understand. I have a major fear of the dentist too. I haven't been to a dentist for almost ten years. I know that sounds really gross but I just can't handle going to the dentist. I have't had any toothaches and I brush my teeth fairly regularly (sometimes when my depression gets bad I lack personal hygiene, but otherwise I brush my teeth daily) so I use those as excuses not to go. Sorry I can't help you. I just thought I'd tell you that I understand.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Phobia Forum 17