• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

The Danger of being unmedicated:

Vandal_Moon

Vandal_Moon

ACCOUNT CLOSED
With bipolar the brain overreacts and takes everything to the extremes. This can be dangerous because it can lead to secondary problems. This is a risk for people like me who are not taking any medication. I actually try very hard to keep my life flat and boring so I can avoid extremes that may end up causing more damage.

and i am constantly wondering if i should give medication another try

A

astrog2007

Those extremes you talk about are the balancing you may need to overcome bi-polar. I am not saying go do extreme things, unless the time calls for it! I am just saying try to go after one of those extremes and balance it, and see how it feels. Making life boring, so you can avoid the fearful extremes is actually a good idea over time as well. If it works, it may balance the extremes with calming thoughts. Be aware, however, because you will want to eventually balance all of the bi-polar diagnosis.

K

keith74

With bipolar the brain overreacts and takes everything to the extremes. This can be dangerous because it can lead to secondary problems. This is a risk for people like me who are not taking any medication. I actually try very hard to keep my life flat and boring so I can avoid extremes that may end up causing more damage.

Unless you are very certain you can avoid all of the stressors and triggers in your life, then I suppose you can get by without meds. But that is very difficult to do for most people. Unexpected life events can happen (other illness, family member passed away, accident, etc) and being on medication can help cope in those situations and avoid a severe episode...

S

SFGuy

My mood stabilizer (Depakote) makes it possible for me to do things I want to without amping up my emotions too much. Without it, my emotional lability would make participation in art groups, shopping in malls, new social groups, etc. horrible and I would slip into hypomania (not the fun kind).

Before my meds, I could have a two or three day exhausted or hypomanic hangover from doing any of those things. Now I might get anxious, but no hangover.

As you can tell, I think mood stabilizers are great if you find one that works for you.

Vandal_Moon

Vandal_Moon

ACCOUNT CLOSED
great if you find one that works for you.
i tried two, i didnt like them, then i quit.

im basically trying to wing it without anything. i have type 2 not 1 and i have a big intellect that i rely on to function

S

SFGuy

I have Type 2 as well, but it got worse as I got older. Weird depressions, lots of mixed states, high emotional lability. I started meds ~5 or 6 years ago during a depression and stuck with them.

I don’t know what I’ll be doing in 6 months, but right now the drugs are helping.