• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

The Connection Between Caffeine-Intake and Bipolar Ordure

rasselas.redux

rasselas.redux

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I haven't bought a jar of coffee in 2 weeks now. I was averaging about 8-10 mugs of coffee per day. That's high-end consumption.

Here are the results of my personal study:

Sleep disruption - NO CHANGE
Sleep quality - NO CHANGE
Sleep duration - NO CHANGE
Bouts of insomnia - SLIGHT WORSENING

Concentration - NO CHANGE
Bouts of hilarity - No CHANGE
Moods - NO CHANGE
Agitation - NO CHANGE
Irritability - No CHANGE
Tendency to punning etc - NO CHANGE

Disappointing.

Still, I'm sticking with drinking water and drinking other peoples' coffee. :)

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
interesting as I drink a lot and I'm told itll after my anxieties, do you suffer any? notice them calmer?
I dont drink coffee late arvo in the vain hope of achieving sleep.
looks like I can keep on chugging then hehe

rasselas.redux

rasselas.redux

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I don't suffer with anxiety no. get a lot of jingly-jangly energy. no change there either.

i'm back on the nicorette patches. moving them around throughout the week performs the additional bonus of a back wax.

you could try the personal caffeine experiment for yourself. you might be one of the lucky ones.

although caffeine has mood-enhancing properties. i suppose thats no big shakes, as all stimulants enhance mood.

in london they serve coffee in thimbles. whats that all about?

Thimble.coffee.THESUN.JPG

Last edited:
maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
fucking hell! I drink it by the pint! love it. it is my one frill in life, I could never give it up x

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Starbucks even do sugar free syrup now so I can get my drinks there sugar free but they have skinny milk then (fraps and lattes)

rasselas.redux

rasselas.redux

ACCOUNT CLOSED
wise.

apparently sugar is a bit of a granulated enemy of bipolarites. although cortisol is released when stressed leading to cravings for all that is sweet.

I read this only moments ago.

Planning Your Menu

Here's what science says about what should be in and out of your daily nutrition in order to help control your weight and moods, as well as manage those cravings while reining in addictive-like eating behaviors. As you plan to integrate these tips, remember to practice mindfulness, being present and aware of your daily nutrition, and taking the time to savor each bite:

Omega-3 essential fatty acids -- A mountain of studies confirms it: Omega-3 fats, such as those found in fatty fish like wild Alaskan salmon, are not only great for general health, they can also help lower the incidence of depression. In fact, the more fish the population of any country eats, the less depression. If you need more proof of their power, consider this: At least one study has found that bipolar disorder is the No. 1 illness associated with lack of omega-3s. These are other fatty fish with high levels of omega-3 fats: arctic char, Atlantic mackerel, sardines, black cod, anchovies, oysters, rainbow trout, albacore tuna, mussels and Pacific halibut.

Refined sugar -- You are already on a mood roller coaster with bipolar disorder. Refined sugar throws your ride into further chaos. Processed refined sugar sends insulin levels soaring, which in turn sparks a roaring craving for more sweet stuff. Sweet begets sweet. When you don't get your sugar fix, a crash follows. Instead, satisfy yourself with moderate servings of the natural sugars in fruits and vegetables. A warning about artificial sweeteners: Ditch the Splenda and agave; they affect insulin levels in exactly the same way as processed sugar. Instead, use stevia, an herb that provides sweetness with no effect on insulin levels.

Magnesium -- Magnesium has been found to function similarly to lithium, which is often prescribed for bipolar disorder as a mood stabilizer. Adding magnesium to your diet may help to decrease the symptoms of mania or rapid cycling. Magnesium also supports good sleep, another problem spot for those with bipolar disorder. Top sources for magnesium include pumpkin seeds, spinach, swiss chard, soybeans, cashews, black beans and sunflower seeds.

Vitamins -- Vitamin deficiencies, especially of vitamins C, D and the B vitamins, are common in those with bipolar disorder. Vitamin B9, also known as folic acid, is especially crucial. A deficiency of vitamin B9 can increase levels of homocysteine, and higher levels of homocysteine are linked to depression. Low levels of vitamin D are also associated with mood disorders and depression. Here's another reason to make sure you get your full requirement of vitamin D: Research shows it may help prevent some cancers such as ovarian, colon and breast. Look for vitamin C in citrus and other fruits; vitamin D in fatty fish, beef liver, cheese, egg yolks and from sunshine; and vitamin B9 in foods such as beans, spinach, asparagus, mango and whole wheat bread.

Carbs -- Carbohydrate cravings come with the territory in bipolar disorder. The goal is to ditch the processed, refined carbs, usually found in manufactured foods, and stick with whole foods like vegetables, fruits and whole grains such as quinoa, barley and oats. Go for long-acting complex carbohydrates such as those found in sweet potatoes and whole grains. Try this tip for cutting carb cravings: Mix a serving of lean protein with fiber. Some examples are slices of apple and peanut butter, hummus and carrots, low-fat cottage cheese with berries, a peach and low-fat string cheese, and vegetables and salmon or chicken.

Alcohol -- Drinking alcohol is a bad idea on multiple levels for those with bipolar disorder. For one, the alcohol-drug interaction can make you very sick. For another, alcohol can disrupt sleep, and so many people with bipolar disorder already have sleep problems. Finally, alcohol can affect mood swings, sending them spiraling even further out of control. If you're socializing, opt for a glass of sparkling water with a twist of lemon or lime.

Caffeine -- Any kind of stimulant can precipitate mania, so it's best to pass on the coffee, Red Bull or any heavily caffeinated beverage. Tea, which has about one-fourth the caffeine as coffee, is a better choice than that $20 venti-size triple shot mocha. Top of the better option charts, though, are non-caffeinated herbal teas and refreshing water. If you want to jazz up your H20, buy an inexpensive infuser and add fruits, vegetables or herbs to your water. Infused water is not only delicious, it provides plant nutrients to help you kick sugar and caffeine cravings.

Fat -- Healthy fats, such as those found in avocados, fish, low-fat dairy and nuts, provide vitamins and minerals and are so satisfying you won't want to overeat.
I don't agree with the advice about caffeine. And herbal tea aint my cup of tea either though many ladies are partial.

"As you plan to integrate these tips, remember to practice mindfulness, being present and aware of your daily nutrition, and taking the time to savor each bite"

Haven't the foggiest what they are going on about in that bit.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
i dont mind a fruit tea or chai but camomile and that shit can fuck off.

I havent got a diagnoses tbh dont think I'm bipolar dont think I'm anything I just saw coffee sorry to butt in.

I do think good diet is essential and I eat plenty fruit and veg stuffs even whilst ½ starving myself in the vein attempt to get thin. I avoid processed food on the whole and try avoid carbs but I give in to them so easy dammit. havent ate meat for awhile so substitute with nuts and that ATM. bit hard to eat balanced in a room with no kitchen driving me mad!!

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I dont get mindfulness either my brain can't understand it, someone was supposed to come see me about it when I was in the crisis house but I got removed from there and no one bothered since and I can't be bothered with crisis oh well

rasselas.redux

rasselas.redux

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I haven't got a bipolar diagnosis either. I don't think. I'm not sure. It doesn't matter really. I just use this section as the seating is very comfy.

yeah... not having a kitchen is a bit of a handicap. I tend to range between extremes of eating very healthily and kebab. :)

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
kebab was my last naughty meal, I'm right next to a truckstop and a kebaby!! I have no money anyway but joked about pimping myself out to truckers, it could pay well. lol

B

blueorange

I'm also in caffeine experiment.

I was having rapid heart rate before and now it is way too better. Also I think I'm less nervous. No change in sleep quality and duration. I can't tell about the moods because I'm having rapid cycling right now.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Bipolar Forum 11
HLon99 Bipolar Forum 6