• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

The choke.

wishiwuzthar

wishiwuzthar

Founding Member
During my school years, I became (self) convinced I was stupid. Apparently, my mind developed a defense for this in the form of a mental block. That is, the info came in one ear & out the other, ("I'll never remember all this stuff!") & of course causing more stress at the pop quiz / test(s) time.
I am quite older now, & yet I am unable to stop this. And so, near the end here, I still work my 2 "slacker" jobs / 7 days a week @ a 17 year duration; just to stay above the poverty line.
Whenever my boss verbalizes his shipment schedule, I hear the words alright. But then my anxiety clicks on & if I do not write the orders down on the spot, I will forget them in mere moments.
There may be a chance for advancement soon, & yet even being the senior employee in my dept.; I am terrified I will be asked to fill the position.
And I HAVE to take it. I must earn more dinaro, because I am nearing the end of the trail.

connect

connect

Admin
Hi there :welcome:,

I don't think your problem is uncommon (I'm a bit "in one ear and out the other" myself :rolleyes:). Would it be possible for you to simply make sure that you carry a pen and notepad with you at all times, and take down anything important immediately? And if you don't catch it all first time, ask whoever is giving the orders to repeat them? There's nothing wrong with using memory aids such as notes or stickies. You shouldn't have to worry about taking on a better position just because your short-term memory isn't great. Your job is not a pop quiz - short-term memory is only a small part of your daily work and I'd wager a bet that you have other abilities which more than make up for it!

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Wouldn't using a notebook have been considered diligent once????

midnight

midnight

Founding Member
If its any help - I took a job I was convinced was too much for me, there was alot to new stuff to learn and every day I was worried I would mess up. But slowly I started to realise how much I did know about stuff and thats a real surge of confidence.

You have been there along while and we are all human so we are all liable to forgetting stuff the important thing is not to get it out of proportion. I bet if there is a problem you know exactly how to get it sorted and who to talk to to make it happen. I bet you know what paperwork needs to be filled in when etc. Try and think of the positives and go for it - worst case scenario talk to your boss and say you would like to give the position a go but could you give it a trial period to make sure its right for both of you

I am sure that you would be dead chuffed if you could make a go of it - and as long as you don't expect to be perfect ( and no-one is believe me ) then I am sure your experience will benefit your company no end

Keep us informed about how it goes and good luck