• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

The cause?

G

Golden

Hormonal changes in the brain. Have you been told this?

U

UMPALUMPA

I was told its a chemical imbalance, but I think no one knows shit really.

G

Gredge23

Definitely what umpalumpa said no 1 knows jack shit!

Kerome

Kerome

I was told its a chemical imbalance, but I think no one knows shit really.
This is a well known "explanation" for mental illness that gets brought out by various physicians when they don't want to admit that the real mechanisms are more complicated and not well understood. The chemical imbalance theory has been largely disproven, and some have even said that it has brought the medical profession into disrepute by repeating a falsehood even past the point where it has lost credence.

The truth as far as we know it is that there are a range of things that contribute to the causes, including a genetic predisposition, social causes such as stressful events in childhood, stress in later life can bring things to the fore, drug use, even diet can cause symptoms that look like a mental illness. So basically it can vary a lot from person to person what range of factors contributed to their condition. It is rarely just one thing though.

I've not heard about hormonal imbalances causing or triggering illness before I have to say.

T

Taffy

I have come to the conclusion that most medics talk out of their backsides when it comes to MH.
bullshit baffles brains as my granddad used to say

U

UMPALUMPA

I have come to the conclusion that most medics talk out of their backsides when it comes to MH.
bullshit baffles brains as my granddad used to say
Your Grandad sounds like he hada lot of knowledge lol ;)

Frost

Frost

This is a well known "explanation" for mental illness that gets brought out by various physicians when they don't want to admit that the real mechanisms are more complicated and not well understood. The chemical imbalance theory has been largely disproven, and some have even said that it has brought the medical profession into disrepute by repeating a falsehood even past the point where it has lost credence.

The truth as far as we know it is that there are a range of things that contribute to the causes, including a genetic predisposition, social causes such as stressful events in childhood, stress in later life can bring things to the fore, drug use, even diet can cause symptoms that look like a mental illness. So basically it can vary a lot from person to person what range of factors contributed to their condition. It is rarely just one thing though.

I've not heard about hormonal imbalances causing or triggering illness before I have to say.
While the 'chemical imbalance' hypothesis is certainly a massive oversimplification (I don't know of anyone who'd deny this), it's important not to throw the baby out with the bathwater. The monoamine hypothesis certainly does not explain why mental illness occurs, any more than low iron would explain 'why' one was anaemic. However it's a reasonable, if simplistic, starting point for a discussion on how mental illnesses work.

To continue my anaemia analogy, say somebody has colon cancer and shows up at the GP's office complaining off being tired, getting night sweats, etc. A blood test tells you their iron stores are low. The low iron stores certainly don't explain why they're feeling unwell, but having the low iron stores is contributing to them feeling unwell. The low iron stores themselves are caused by bleeding caused by the cancer (and the cancer itself has its own causes). So the cancer is the 'why' they feel unwell, the low iron stores are a part of the 'how'. Note that like the monoamine hypothesis, this is an oversimplification, but makes for a good tool in explaining someone's symptoms to them.

Perhaps individual clinicians aren't making it clear enough that they're using the 'chemical imbalance' idea as a tool to help convey a difficult concept, rather than simply a cut-and-dry explanation.

As for the 'hormonal changes', the only thing I can think of off the top of my head would be hypothyroidism presenting as depression?

U

UMPALUMPA

Theirs too many Tools in Crisis Team.

pepecat

pepecat

So do we think depression (or whatever MH issue you want, but depression is most commonly cited as being as a result of 'chemical imbalance') is caused by chemical imbalances, or the chemical imbalance (if there is one) is caused by depression?

Personally, I don't buy that theory - the 'chemicals' one. It doesn't fit with my experiences, but i get that some poeple like it and find it useful for them.

G

Golden

Mood disorder usually begins around puberty. For me it started when I started my period however this is often the case with personality disorder.

The hormone I think my Dr means is cortisol. Stress can cause illness and relapse. Norepinephrine is also a hormone. Thyroid hormones too. The problems with pregnancy and menopause. I assume it is a new piece of information. New ideas. Worsening symptoms monthly is something that has been discussed with me as common too.

U

UMPALUMPA

Drs dont know, science has spent Billions on Research and no real answers were found, so lets face it no one has a bloody clue.

All Drs can do is say ' suck on these tablets for 6 months and lets see what happends '