The Case of Helen Schucman

Kerome

Kerome

I came across this while reading the Dutch book Stemmen Horen, by Iris Sommers, it's a really interesting case about a woman psychologist named Helen Schucman who started hearing a voice when she was 59. This was just a single voice, male, which started dictating a book to her. She wrote it all down, and the voice would pause when she got tired, and would start up again when she sat down to write once more, picking up where it left off.

The book was titled A Course in Miracles, it's entirely legible, strongly reasoned and cogent, and straddles the boundary line between religion and philosophy. It comes complete with a workbook of exercises, directions for teachers and summary of terms. It states that the most important reason we are here on earth is to learn to handle time. It handles the subject with an iron logical consistency.

It was said that Helen Schucman had a form of cryptomymnesia, a way of recalling and writing down knowledge that was already present in her mind. At other times she was said to suffer from schizophrenia or a personality disorder, but her functioning was always normal.

How amazing! So voices can do things like that as well...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_Schucman

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
i have a copy & have read it. There is some kind of local connection & a group that use to run with it all, Not sure if it's still going?

Kerome

Kerome

Cool, is it worth reading, would be my question? It seems rather an amazing thing, for an entire book to be handed to the human race by a voice just like that, but whether it is actually useful for ones development to read it is another matter.

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Cool, is it worth reading, would be my question? It seems rather an amazing thing, for an entire book to be handed to the human race by a voice just like that, but whether it is actually useful for ones development to read it is another matter.
It seemed very religious to me. i was in addiction when i read it, doing a lot of drinking/drug taking & involved in all kinds of stuff. So would be very different if i was to study/read it today. Seemed to be a lot of exercises focused of the spiritual/non-physical nature of reality.

i'd recommend other stuff to read, but i suppose it's OK?

Kerome

Kerome

The entire text seems to be available at openacim.org, so I think I will have a gander. I must admit I'm fascinated by this phenomenon, I'm having a hard time getting my head around voices being strongly logical and reasoned, let alone dictating a book in an ordered fashion. My voices, when I hear them, are more a collection of little mechanics of my inner being, constantly busy fixing things and trying to lead energies in the right channels, not intellectuals by any means. Most of what I hear from them is about internal disasters and mishaps.

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
The entire text seems to be available at openacim.org, so I think I will have a gander. I must admit I'm fascinated by this phenomenon, I'm having a hard time getting my head around voices being strongly logical and reasoned, let alone dictating a book in an ordered fashion. My voices, when I hear them, are more a collection of little mechanics of my inner being, constantly busy fixing things and trying to lead energies in the right channels, not intellectuals by any means. Most of what I hear from them is about internal disasters and mishaps.
Jane Roberts i think is a far more interesting case/body of work, there are others as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Roberts

i would think that there is a physiology & a pathology - But there are also cross overs with psychic phenomena. Difficult to separate out exactly what is going on within each individual case? i think it is individual & complex. What makes one person a clairvoyant adept & another mentally ill?

One of the best books/material i've come across on some of what may be happening in the psyche is 'Soul Centered Healing' by Tom Zinser - it at least gives a very comprehensive overview/picture of everything.

i do think that there is an overlap/combination of Spirit > Psyche > Physical & the condition manifests across that range.

Spirit Release Forum - Background

Kerome

Kerome

I've read some bits around the Seth material, I always considered it likely to be a fraud, especially because of the way it is presented as being the product of a named personality. But in light of the contents of the Wikipedia article on Jane Roberts and the historical context of the thinking which in the 1960's was much more orthodox than today, perhaps it does hold some relevance.

The question of what makes one person clairvoyant and another mentally ill is very relevant. I think it is more than just the clarity and complexity of ones voices and experiences, although what measuring stick you should use to tell the truth from hallucination is a very difficult question. A certain emotional resonance with what we know to be true from NDEs and the like is perhaps a starting point. But who can tell? As far as we know the spiritual realms could be a very big and varied place, rather than modest and uniform.

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
But who can tell? As far as we know the spiritual realms could be a very big and varied place, rather than modest and uniform.
This is the conclusion i'm left with. We simply don't know. There are intimations & some interesting writings/areas & accounts - But we don't have a clearer picture on all these areas & probably won't until we pass over.

rasselas.redux

rasselas.redux

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I've read some bits around the Seth material, I always considered it likely to be a fraud, especially because of the way it is presented as being the product of a named personality. But in light of the contents of the Wikipedia article on Jane Roberts and the historical context of the thinking which in the 1960's was much more orthodox than today, perhaps it does hold some relevance.

The question of what makes one person clairvoyant and another mentally ill is very relevant. I think it is more than just the clarity and complexity of ones voices and experiences, although what measuring stick you should use to tell the truth from hallucination is a very difficult question. A certain emotional resonance with what we know to be true from NDEs and the like is perhaps a starting point. But who can tell? As far as we know the spiritual realms could be a very big and varied place, rather than modest and uniform.
It's as big and real as your imagination wishes it to be.

Seth is most likely demonic. Helen Schucman's miraculous automatic writing was claimed as emanating from Jesus, who, as we all know, has been favouring americans and the USA as a whole since gettysberg.

Both texts are very dry and lacking humour. The historical christ had a daring and often sarcastic wit, especially when confronted by powerful narcissists.

My favourite automatic writing, for shear emotional and literary depth, is Alice Walker's epistolary novel, The Color Purple. She claimed that the letters that comprise each chapter were narrated to her from the other side.

I think creativity has it high points and its low points.

Now that we're talking text, here's a link to a free copy of likely the most important text of this century.

Encyclical on Capitalism and Inequality: On Care for Our Common Home
by Pope Francis

“An urgent call to action.”

– New York Times
“The most astonishing and perhaps the most ambitious papal document of the past 100 years.”

– Guardian
“A powerful, prophetic, and personal plea.”

– Time
“A bold act by the pope, the encyclical in many ways reflects a movement that has been growing for decades.”

– Los Angeles Times
“A call to action … addressed to ‘every person living on this planet.’”

– Chicago Tribune

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Another local, an interesting man & a good book -

Daimonic Reality

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Harpur

The Philosophers' Secret Fire, Mercurius: The Marriage of Heaven and Earth & A Complete Guide to the Soul, are also good & on the book shelf.

i'd wager to some people everything non Christian that displays intelligence & genuinely independent/critical thinking is considered Demonic/Of the Devil - Whatever those things are meant to be/mean? All too 14th Century for my liking.

rasselas.redux

rasselas.redux

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Depends on how superstitious a person is. I'm not aware of any formal belief-system that doesn't in some way proscribe against forming relationships with dead people, or in some way formalise how a person should go about conducting their relationship with dead people.

Most living people maintain all of their relationships with living people. Which is generally the most healthy approach to take.

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I'm not aware of any formal belief-system that doesn't in some way proscribe against forming relationships with dead people, or in some way formalise how a person should go about conducting their relationship with dead people.
Odd thing to say - Worshiping dead people seems to be the central tenet of all exoteric belief systems/religions.

rasselas.redux

rasselas.redux

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I would have thought you'd have grasped this by now.

Here we go again.

God came back as Jesus and then killed himself, to be back with himself, as God, with God, and the other thing, the holy ghost. The holy ghost isn't a literal ghost. It's more like some kind of cosmic spunk that you can neither hear nor see, although some nuns in situations of extreme isolation claim to have been touched by it, so to speak.

As was Mother Mary.

The rest is just filler-in material.

Other than the bit about Satan, who is also a bit like God, but not very nice, and enjoys things like deceit, lies, death and general pain-in-the-arsing.

The most sensible approach to all this is to be humble and a little bit humourful.

God is not dead. Thus, communicating with God is not communicating with a dead person.

Like I say, it is probably more healthy to form relationships with the living than to attempt to do the same with the dead. It can all become very distasteful...

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Bukkake for Rass ;) :D