• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

The Autism-Spectrum Quotient: overlap between Asperger syndrome and schizophrenia

F

firemonkee57

The Autism-Spectrum Quotient: overlap between Asperger syndrome and schizophrenia

The paper by Tove Lugnegård and colleagues [1], including mention of one Maria Unenge Hallerbäck who has appeared on this blog previously, is fodder for today's discussions and their finding that a: "significant overlap of AQ [Autism-Spectrum Quotient] scores across the two diagnostic groups clearly reduces the discriminating power of the AQ in the separation of schizophrenia from AS [Asperger syndrome]."
They say you're judged by the strength of your enemies.

As per that link to previous work by Unenge Hallerbäck among others, the idea that the autism spectrum and the schizophrenia spectrum might not be as separate and independent as is commonly thought is gaining some renewed research momentum in recent times (see here). I wouldn't necessarily call it a reunification, as per older sentiments of autism being akin to childhood schizophrenia despite the fact that some of the criteria produced for example, by Mildred Creak and colleagues, contain some potentially pertinent information (see her 9 key features of ‘schizophrenic syndrome in childhood’).

Rather however a realisation that (a) autism is nothing like protective against the subsequent development of schizophrenia or related diagnoses particularly with a changing symptom profile moving into adulthood, and (b) in these days of RDoC (see here), common genetic / epigenetic / biological / behavioural ground may be evident across some cases of autism and some cases of schizophrenia including something of familial element [2]. The fact that Prof. Gillberg also makes an appearance on the Lugnegård paper adds to the ESSENCE of overlapping comorbidity (see here) or autism plus [3] if you so wish.

Questioning Answers: The Autism-Spectrum Quotient: overlap between Asperger syndrome and schizophrenia

I took the AQ test again a few days ago and scored 41. Previous times I scored 37.

BillFish

BillFish

The paper by Tove Lugnegård and colleagues [1], including mention of one Maria Unenge Hallerbäck who has appeared on this blog previously, is fodder for today's discussions and their finding that a: "significant overlap of AQ [Autism-Spectrum Quotient] scores across the two diagnostic groups clearly reduces the discriminating power of the AQ in the separation of schizophrenia from AS [Asperger syndrome]."

As per that link to previous work by Unenge Hallerbäck among others, the idea that the autism spectrum and the schizophrenia spectrum might not be as separate and independent as is commonly thought is gaining some renewed research momentum in recent times (see here). I wouldn't necessarily call it a reunification, as per older sentiments of autism being akin to childhood schizophrenia despite the fact that some of the criteria produced for example, by Mildred Creak and colleagues, contain some potentially pertinent information (see her 9 key features of ‘schizophrenic syndrome in childhood’).

Rather however a realisation that (a) autism is nothing like protective against the subsequent development of schizophrenia or related diagnoses particularly with a changing symptom profile moving into adulthood, and (b) in these days of RDoC (see here), common genetic / epigenetic / biological / behavioural ground may be evident across some cases of autism and some cases of schizophrenia including something of familial element [2]. The fact that Prof. Gillberg also makes an appearance on the Lugnegård paper adds to the ESSENCE of overlapping comorbidity (see here) or autism plus [3] if you so wish.

Questioning Answers: The Autism-Spectrum Quotient: overlap between Asperger syndrome and schizophrenia

I took the AQ test again a few days ago and scored 41. Previous times I scored 37.
I think the AQ test on wired is too simplistic,designed for the web, a watered down version of the several hours of in-depth interview and discussion that would be required to ascertain a persons Quotient.:p

shaky

shaky

So have I got this right?

Are they saying that in the past autism and schizophrenia were seen to be mutually exclusive. That they don't appear in the same person
But now they are saying that they do sometimes and that there may even be a link between the two in some unspecified way?

Or is my brain not working today?

S

supergreysmoke

Same genes involved with both according to a Scientific American article I read a couple of years ago. Guess they are trying to retain their flawed grasp of both conditions by trying to put both together? Should really start again with a entirely new blank sheet of paper. ??

S

supergreysmoke

Shrinks always inventing gobbledygook quasi-scientific phrases before discovering what they are on about. Most of science works the other way around.

C

CuppaTea3456

I have Aspergers and my husband has Schitzophrenia. Our conditions are very different and we do not share any similar traits/symptoms. We do not think alike nor do we behave alike. Perhaps we're the odd pnes out though :)