• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

The Association between Negative Symptoms, Psychotic Experiences and Later Schizophrenia: A Population-Based Longitudinal Study

F

firemonkee57

The Association between Negative Symptoms, Psychotic Experiences and Later Schizophrenia: A Population-Based Longitudinal Study

Abstract
Background

Psychotic experiences are common in the general population, and predict later psychotic illness. Much less is known about negative symptoms in the general population.
Method

This study utilized a sample of 4,914 Israel-born individuals aged 25–34 years who were screened for psychopathology in the 1980's. Though not designed to specifically assess negative symptoms, data were available on 9 self-report items representing avolition and social withdrawal, and on 5 interviewer-rated items assessing speech deficits, flat affect and poor hygiene. Psychotic experiences were assessed using the False Beliefs and Perceptions subscale of the Psychiatric Epidemiology Research Interview. Psychiatric hospitalization was ascertained 24 years later using a nation-wide psychiatric hospitalization registry.
Results

After removing subjects with diagnosable psychotic disorders at baseline, 20.2% had at least one negative symptom. Negative symptoms were associated with increased risk of later schizophrenia only in the presence of strong (frequent) psychotic experiences (OR = 13.0, 9% CI: 2.1–79.4).
Conclusions

Negative symptoms are common in the general population, though the majority of people with negative symptoms do not manifest a clinically diagnosed psychiatric disorder. Negative symptoms and psychotic experiences critically depend on each other’s co-occurrence in increasing risk for later schizophrenia.

PLOS ONE: The Association between Negative Symptoms, Psychotic Experiences and Later Schizophrenia: A Population-Based Longitudinal Study

I am not diagnosed with sz but have been reckoned to have psychotic symptoms (though I am often doubtful about this).

Looking at table I. Avolition and social withdrawal seem to be my greatest issues out of the so called "negative symptoms"

ms%20and%20psychotic%20experiences%20schizophrenia.png

Attachments

F

firemonkee57

I have experienced 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10?(does people not always understanding what you are saying because your diction is bad/voice quiet fit that) and at times 12 but especially 1-9.

Gajolene

Gajolene

Ummmm I'm always posting in here too, and I don't have it, that doesn't warrant an obsession or a matter of acceptance.

F

firemonkee57

Why the obsesion then, you're always posting in here?

I can post where I beeping well like. If you have a problem with my original post then feel free to report it.

Gajolene

Gajolene

I found the whole report rather vauge now that I've had the time for a quick read through it. I was wondering why they were focusing on nationalities so much in the report as well. What is the purpose of it all, to predict and do predetermining if scitzophrenia will develop when it hasn't happened yet? Just left me with a really unsettling feeling. Like you said a lot of those so called negative symptoms could apply to just about everybody except the last few on the list really.

F

firemonkee57

Respectfully - Don't think he can accept his actual diagnosis.
I don't see myself as fitting neatly into any diagnostic box but psychiatrists like to squeeze you into a diagnostic box. Three of the dxes I have had(schizophrenia,schizoaffective, and paranoid PD) are seen as part of the "schizophrenia spectrum".

I would forgo diagnosis and as I am currently would describe myself as having primary anxiety with secondary mood and thought symptoms.

Gajolene

Gajolene

JS was first deem paraniod scitzophrenic, then bipolar, now scitzoaffective. I think as people change and grow maturity wish and approaching older years that symptoms can change which will effect the diagnosis they go by. There is something to be said for having a diagnosis most closely related to your symptom set. As in bipolar mood stabilizing medication would do nothing to help JD, and JS would not benefit from singularily being on antipsychotics alone without an additional mood stabilizer being added. So there is some benefit to as acurately as possible identify symptoms which these scales use to avoid mismedication.
For myself I kept getting only anxiety related diagnosis' or depression only for the longest time before I found the symptom sets for PTSD on my own and knew immediately that that diagnosis most fit me and the treatments they were offering me did not suit my recovery. I had to show them with those checkboxes they relied upon that PTSD was what I had developed.
I just didn't like the particular scale in this model in the article of an attempt at mass population prediction.

Gajolene

Gajolene

Good point. His label changed as his illness naturally progressed in JS' case. JD's was more solid and unchanging. Doctors here in Canada are more reluctant to give out diagnosis' than ever before unless the patient or patients family demands a diagnosis' label themselves. But those labels do have to be taken into consideration more by the medical community for overall health reasons not just mh but physical health as well. But I don't think those labels should be released so readily to social services, work and legal services unless absolutely necessary. Too often it gets used against people in places where it shouldn't, that's something I think should definately be stopped.