• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

The armchair Psychiatrist

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Why is it so appealing for so many people to be one? & what qualifies anyone Not qualified to give 'professional medical opinions' on diagnoses, medication, psychology & psychiatry? & the minutia on other peoples lives, especially on people they don't know over an internet forum.

Just musing.

Gajolene

Gajolene

Had a GP the other day tell me that JD's scitzophrenia was a frontal lobe brain disease. My first thought was your a GP not a psychiatrist, and I thought she should stick with being a GP and not throw out general information like that. Instead I just nodded and changed subject not wanting to get into a debate with her on the causes of scitzophrenia. Whether or not you believe in the brain disease hypothesis I think that was a flippant peice of armchair psychiatry.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I don't know if you're getting at people on this forum?
I've never seen anybody claim to be an expert.

Don't know if I could be assumed to be an "armchair psychiatrist"? Personally I don't see anything wrong in sharing my own experiences and trying to help people by saying what's helped me.

I think there's a difference between coming from a genuine place of compassion and trying to help another person out vs. being judgmental and making assumptions.

I don't know, perhaps i'm just being over-sensitive but it does make me wonder why I bother replying to people. I probably irritate more people than I help.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I don't know if you're getting at people on this forum?
I've never seen anybody claim to be an expert.
i just mean it in a very general sense - people take what bits & bobs they have heard & come across & it filters what they think about everything.

i think there is very much a general social attitude of anomalous/strange behaviour > it's mental illness > a problem with the brain > administer drugs.

13 years ago when i got clean & sober, & started 12 step meetings, it was like every other person spoke like they were a professional social worker/psychiatrist/Doctor/Psychologist - it did my head in, & was one of the main reasons i stopped going to the meetings.

i suppose on a mental health forum, it is naturally generally going to be coloured very much by current orthodox psychiatry/mental health opinion.

i just wonder how much 'we' really know? Layman & professional alike. i can project & be an armchair psychiatrist with the best of them - i do it all as well.

It wasn't aimed at anyone/anything specific - just a general observation; of the endemic influence of psychiatry, mental health & the models/ideas around it all.

i think you help a lot of people on the forum. i get attacked regularly. i question my need/the point to continue to post on mental health forums? In the words of someone that recently criticised/attacked me - i'm going round & round in circles.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

In a general sense I feel it is common that people live in the past. Parents treat their adult children like kids, friends treat you as if you still at school, politicians treat us as if it is 1976 and so on.

Also there is a general sense of not accepting illnesses. In the belief that it is a 'positive' attitude. Which only helps partially because sometimes people just dearly need rest and recuperation.

It is part of being human I feel.

calypso

calypso

Admin
I had a friend who said that she wondered how many mental illnesses would go away if we were very wealthy and could go for a month on a sandy beach somewhere exotic. She had a point I think.

But there is armchair psychiatry and then supporting people. The two are different. I have just written in the self harm area about techniques I think help to prevent doing it. That isn't me being an armchair psychiatrist, its trying to find ways to help and support. Not sure where the line is. We jump in when we read a person diagnosing another on here and stop that.

But telling someone who is very unwell and liable to seriously damage themselves to see a doctor, isn't ideal, but sometimes can save a life. We are just a forum, we do our best, and with the best will in the world, none of us will get it right all the time, will we?

As you know, I have learnt a lot from you CPU. I don't agree with everything you say, but quite a lot is interesting. If I read a post which says, "I'm suicidal" I do answer often and listen. All the other ideas you promote are wonderful, but not available at the moment. So I deal with what presents itself in front of me. I mean this genuinely, what else would you do if you wanted to help a person on here in that state? I can only use the tools at my disposal, I think. Does that make sense?

keepsafe

keepsafe

Well 12 steps, what a lot of brainwashing in my experience and opinion - no wonder you gave up, me too. But I do often wonder how much of these therapies are too, I'm out of it right now so don;t know much about what I am saying. I don;t mean drunk or drugged, just drifting.

I think we try to support to the best of our abilities.

KS
xx

Mayfair

Mayfair

Why is it so appealing for so many people to be one? & what qualifies anyone Not qualified to give 'professional medical opinions' on diagnoses, medication, psychology & psychiatry? & the minutia on other peoples lives, especially on people they don't know over an internet forum.

Just musing.
-

Then again, what qualifies an actual psychiatrist? But that's another question.
Definitely another thread, the first part is complex enough :)

-

Bold: I think you juxtapose some things that ARE VERY close to each other, but you use them to compare different things which are actually easily separable.

The reason they are close though, is because they cross on so many levels.

-

Why is it so appealing for so many people to be one? - is a question with an assumption (on least 2 fronts really that I think would be difficult to prove). It presumes that 'people' ARE armchair psychiatrists, AND ARE finding it appealing to be one.

I just don't think that's the case for 99.9% of posters. I think you are seeing people that occasionally find the forum asking direct questions, and expecting an immediate answer or cure. That's just the internet, and how some people talk these days, something which might have not been available in the past*. We wouldn't be here if it wasn't for it.

If you read all the intros, some members have found us ages ago and lurked then joined; some have found us on google and just joined and said a few things to test the water; *some have joined in absolute desperation having found us. Who knows?

I don't think that we have many posters like that in here. People write things that they think will help, it might be god, drugs, local help, therapy... I often recommend music, am I armchair psychiatrist? I feel stupid sometimes looking at my posts about music, because they sound pathetic and idealistic, but sometimes music helps me, and there might be someone who hasn't heard something. Everyone is different.

It's only exchanging of ideas, and having some freedom to chat some about what you think will help. Some people write directly! It's easier, I use it too.

I've said it before CPU, if we all agreed about everything in here, then I wouldn't be here for starters and I doubt many others would after a while... I wouldn't believe it was real.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Well 12 steps, what a lot of brainwashing in my experience and opinion - no wonder you gave up, me too. But I do often wonder how much of these therapies are too
i wonder as well. i've looked into so much stuff - i think so much is conditioning. i don't know with everything any more either - i accept the diagnosis, take the pills, & plod on as best i can - what other choice realistically is there? Or is generally allowed by this culture?

I think we try to support to the best of our abilities.
That appears to be in essence what you're all saying. i suppose there are different perspectives, opinion, & views as to what are the best understandings/approaches & ways of supporting/helping people?

The consensus appears to very much be that what people experience is primarily a medical issue & best treated with drugs, & the whole subject needs to be primarily addressed & approached from that perspective. Not sure i entirely agree - But nothing i can do about the way this World is, everyone is best left to it all.

Last edited:

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dreams of a Quick Fix, Gone Awry - Mad In America

The version of psychiatry that many professionals, politicians and laypeople would like to be true is that mental illnesses are specific brain disorders with specific drug treatments, to which they are very responsive if identified early.

In reality, the way we categorise mental illnesses is arbitrary, and the diagnostic criteria are overinclusive.

Furthermore, the focus on drugs means that the biopsychosocial model for understanding mental disorders has too often been reduced to a bio model.

Whilst psychiatric drugs can be helpful, the dream of a quick fix by targeted drugs has become a nightmare where we often do more harm than good in the way we use drugs, e.g. against depression, schizophrenia and ADHD.

The focus on drugs, combined with insufficient focus on what caused the patient’s problems and how to cope with them in the future, is dangerous for patients. Even though psychotherapy and other non-drug treatments are often advocated, the most common response to making a diagnosis is to prescribe a drug.

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Per Ardua Ad Astra

My very first psychiatrist was both a qualified consultant in psychiatry - and an armchair psychiatrist as well.

He didn't sit behind a desk. He had his desk next to the wall, and sat in an armchair at the side of it.

I was an armchair patient too. He had an armchair for his patients to sit in - the comfortable sort you find in a living rather than a consulting room.

He also had a nice way of making a point of walking down the corridor and into reception to greet his patients personally. The other doctors' patients used to get told by reception staff to 'take a seat outside room number ~' :)

shaky

shaky

The consensus appears to very much be that what people experience is primarily a medical issue & best treated with drugs, & the whole subject needs to be primarily addressed & approached from that perspective. Not sure i entirely agree - But nothing i can do about the way this World is, everyone is best left to it all.
It's not a plot by the 'medical model' supporters.
The reason many people on here discuss which drugs might be useful, or suggest going to see conventional doctors is because that is what we have learnt from experience helped us.
I think most people post based on their own experiences and there are so few that have experience of Soteria, or living in a tribe, or becoming a shaman. So we haven't the knowledge to talk about those approaches.
It's not that we are happy taking our happy pills - we sometimes yearn for something different - but we can't afford something different, so we're stuck with what we are given.
And where we have experience is where we can talk with knowledge to others.

If you were part of an MH forum in Papua New Guinea you might find a totally different consensus.