• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

The allure of the new

F

firemonkee57

As human beings, we are attuned to notice the special or different. We also tend to like simple answers to complex questions. Perhaps they make us feel more in control of the complicated environments we find ourselves in. I wondered about this during a recent trawl for ‘depression cures’ on news websites. Suggestions included 9-stone weight loss, magic mushrooms (complete with obligatory 3D brain picture to enhance credibility), laughing gas and ketamine. It seems that we are on the lookout for simple-sounding and miraculous cures for our ailments. After all, the prospect that things can be fixed ever faster and with less effort sounds great. With a bias towards the novel and apparently miraculous, I wonder how we can appraise new, glamorous or cutting edge treatments? Can we judge such shiny new arrivals fairly?

Discursive of Tunbridge Wells: The allure of the new

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Hmm.. this Deep-Brain Stimulation sounds a bit like ECT to me? I know it's not exactly the same, but surely there are similarities?
I don't see how this is a 'new' idea really, more like a recycled idea that's been made slightly more humane.