• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

The aftermath: polypharmacology — protracted psychiatric drug withdrawal syndrome

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
The aftermath: polypharmacology — protracted psychiatric drug withdrawal syndrome

The aftermath: polypharmacology — protracted psychiatric drug withdrawal syndrome – Beyond Meds

This was first published on David Healy’s site, RxIsk: Making Medicine’s Safer for All of Us, about 4 years ago. I’ve never published it on this site and thought I’d do so now so that it will be part of the archives here as well. It’s a memoir of sorts up to that point 4 years ago.

[Rest in link]

D

daydreambeliever39

ACCOUNT CLOSED
This really resonated with me. The fact is I have been made ill by taking antipsychotics. My CPN refused to believe that any valid research had been done on this but psychiatrists must know it happens. The argument against taking medication is how it affects your physical health but they affect your mental health negatively too.

Like this person, I feel that I was basically forced to take the medication by, in my case, sectioning me. I would never have been sectioned if it wasn't for the medication that made me psychotic in the first place.
Hopefully word will get around one day and the great cash grab that is psychiatric medication will exposed for what it is - irreparably damaging to a person's mental and physical health.

I am going to read the blog as it sounds like it may be informative and interesting.

Have signed up on Facebook.

Thank you

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
This really resonated with me. The fact is I have been made ill by taking antipsychotics. My CPN refused to believe that any valid research had been done on this but psychiatrists must know it happens. The argument against taking medication is how it affects your physical health but they affect your mental health negatively too.

Like this person, I feel that I was basically forced to take the medication by, in my case, sectioning me. I would never have been sectioned if it wasn't for the medication that made me psychotic in the first place.
Hopefully word will get around one day and the great cash grab that is psychiatric medication will exposed for what it is - irreparably damaging to a person's mental and physical health.

I am going to read the blog as it sounds like it may be informative and interesting.

Thank you
Thanks.

Maybe one day it will all be seen for the horror story it all is, but i can't see that happening in my lifetime?

Sorry to hear of all your own difficulties as well. The general attitude with most people is very drug focused. Glad that you found the article/link helpful.

i think it's all a very complex picture, but generally i disagree with the current biomedical model/pharmacology as the primary approach/focus.

i think the primary approach should be on more comprehensive psychological/social approaches.

i was sectioned 4 times & forced medicated, ending up dependent on a medication. After 7 major episodes/breakdowns, & 3 failed attempts to try getting off the medication, have come to a place of acceptance around it all, & am totally dependent on this psychiatric drug. With a more ideal system i think i could have been better helped, as many people could (imo). Past is the past.

Have largely given up & resided myself to the way everything is in all these areas, trying to discuss it all too much/arguing against the current Zeitgeist also attracts a lot of flak.

D

daydreambeliever39

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Sorry to hear that, CPU - it sounds like you've been to hell and back several times in your life. Hopefully you won't be in that position again and I suppose if the medication keeps you well then it's the best thing but you have to wonder if they have exacerbated your condition. It's no wonder you are so passionate about advocating an open minded approach when it comes to treatment.

It puts my issues into perspective.

I hope you are getting on ok just now and not too stressed by it all. :hug:

xx

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Sorry to hear that, CPU - it sounds like you've been to hell and back several times in your life. Hopefully you won't be in that position again and I suppose if the medication keeps you well then it's the best thing but you have to wonder if they have exacerbated your condition. It's no wonder you are so passionate about advocating an open minded approach when it comes to treatment.

It puts my issues into perspective.

I hope you are getting on ok just now and not too stressed by it all. :hug:

xx
Thanks - A lot of people have it worse, & it does No good to compare. i feel that i have been through hell with it all. Things are better, & i have made a lot of progress. Things are still far from easy, but that's life.

Even within a more ideal society/system then who knows with it all? Maybe i'd still have needed hospitalisation & medication?

Since maintaining the medication for the past 12 years it does seem to have kept me generally stable, & haven't dropped into another major psychotic episode/breakdown in that time. But it hasn't been easy, & there has been a catalogue of difficulties in ways.

Don't feel that i've ever had appropriate psychological help around it all.

D

daydreambeliever39

ACCOUNT CLOSED
No, since I was diagnosed with schizophrenia they haven't mentioned a psychologist to me and I was supposed to be on the list when I was diagnosed with OCD only. They don't seem to offer it much if you have that diagnosis, although from coming on here I know it does exist.

It all seems very unfair. :hug:

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
No, since I was diagnosed with schizophrenia they haven't mentioned a psychologist to me and I was supposed to be on the list when I was diagnosed with OCD only. They don't seem to offer it much if you have that diagnosis, although from coming on here I know it does exist.

It all seems very unfair. :hug:
It's Not fair - Have given up trying to find appropriate psychological help.

D

daydreambeliever39

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Is there any way you could afford to go private or is it not much better?

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Is there any way you could afford to go private or is it not much better?
imo the majority of psychologists/therapists are crap, but a few i think are good. It's finding them is the problem.

There's a very long story with it all. Have spent years trying to find appropriate therapy, & Not been able to. i've tried some private therapists & it's Not worked out. Have referred to work with around 4 private therapists over the past few years & they have all refused for various reasons. In 30 years have had 10 sessions with an NHS psychologist which was about the best person i saw, but it was stopped & any more refused.

A few years ago the GP referred me to the local psychological services unit, & i chatted with the head psychologist at assessment, she said they didn't provide what i was looking for & that i had a biological illness. The GP wants me to self refer back again. He's OK my GP. Don't think i can be bothered trying with it all any more.

D

daydreambeliever39

ACCOUNT CLOSED
You shouldn't give up CPU, if there's a chance things could get better then you should take the chance. Your knowledge and intelligence are being wasted although you are helping people on the forums. You would be a good adviser of social policy or could work in that area regarding mental health issues. There are so many things you could do with the experience and talents you have.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
You shouldn't give up CPU, if there's a chance things could get better then you should take the chance. Your knowledge and intelligence are being wasted although you are helping people on the forums. You would be a good adviser of social policy or could work in that area regarding mental health issues. There are so many things you could do with the experience and talents you have.
Thanks.

You need relevant qualifications/relevant bits of paper. Was refused application to the last couple of voluntary work positions, some years ago.

No way that i can work within the current system either, i see it as barbaric.

Have a lot of struggles with severe social anxiety/low self esteem/lack of confidence. Struggle with overall functioning & getting the basics of things done.

i did give a talk to some medical students a few months ago, & did get a letter through to engage discussion at the National NHS Citizen Gather Conference, but the response seemed tokenistic.

i try & do what i can with everything. Have been helping support family/care for my mum past 6 years. Has been enough to maintain independent living/degree of stability i have, in the face of all the welfare reforms & ongoing challenges/difficulties.

Have criminal record, history of addiction/SMI/dual diagnosis - long term out of work/patchy work history.

Would like to do something more, but what, & my life is on hold until my mum passes, & God knows what implications there will be with her passing?

D

daydreambeliever39

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Yeah, but you will have the support of your friends in real life and me and others in your online life CPU. A good support network is vital at a time like that. I know it won't make up for the loss of your mum but it's better than no support at all. You just have to take one day at a time and avoid extra stress.

It's a shame that you let your talents go to waste but it's not your fault, life can give you a raw deal at times. I would like to do paid work but the stigma of being mentally ill doesn't help me.

I attended a conference on mental health once too, by the way. I don't know how useful it was either. Was interesting, though. But I wasn't very well at the time and that didn't help. Unfortunately it was regionally based and all the ideas I had were more relevant to global and national policies regarding mental health.

I'm sorry I can't give you a real life hug so a virtual one will have to do. I hope you are coping with the negative posts you've been getting from some people and with caring for your mum. Do you get any help with it or are you her only carer? There should be carer support in your area somewhere which gives you a break. We certainly have it up here. :hug1:

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Yeah, but you will have the support of your friends in real life and me and others in your online life CPU. A good support network is vital at a time like that. I know it won't make up for the loss of your mum but it's better than no support at all. You just have to take one day at a time and avoid extra stress.
Thanks. Yes, can only take things a moment/day at a time. All we ever have is the moment anyway.

It's a shame that you let your talents go to waste but it's not your fault, life can give you a raw deal at times. I would like to do paid work but the stigma of being mentally ill doesn't help me.
It's enough for me to get through the days & maintain independent living & a degree of stability.

I attended a conference on mental health once too, by the way. I don't know how useful it was either. Was interesting, though. But I wasn't very well at the time and that didn't help. Unfortunately it was regionally based and all the ideas I had were more relevant to global and national policies regarding mental health.
i don't think that much is ever done to fundamentally change the system - it just grinds on.

I'm sorry I can't give you a real life hug so a virtual one will have to do. I hope you are coping with the negative posts you've been getting from some people and with caring for your mum. Do you get any help with it or are you her only carer? There should be carer support in your area somewhere which gives you a break. We certainly have it up here. :hug1:
Thanks, i do struggle at times with all the on-line drama, but it's the way it is. Very complex situation with my mum & her care. My bro is the main carer, i help out as much as i can & we have some help in the mornings as well, but very little from services. Can discuss via PM if you want.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
https://beyondmeds.com/2016/04/16/autoimmune-transformation-holisitc/

I’ve discovered that when I have what I used to consider a “flare” of auto-immunity, that if instead I surrender its the body actually knowing exactly what it’s doing and that is the work of transformation! Those with auto-immune “disorders” are stopping this process through profound resistance (for me fear was involved here) to what is actually a normal thing when the body/mind/soul is ready to begin transforming. It seems to me that western “medicine” is actively stopping this process with all its immunosuppressant drugs etc. We are living in a time of medical nightmares as a result of so profoundly misunderstanding our own body’s processes. This is of course very complicated and for me trauma and multiple courses of antibiotics as a child and a whole lot of other things come into play. What comes into play for every individual differs and so the way out of the maze differs for everyone too. Hence the need for great respect for the mystery.

The only “choice” involved here is the grace that happens as one becomes aware. Blaming illness on people is at best unproductive and at worst horribly uncompassionate as well as destructive. Humanity is in the dark. As we come to light we heal. It is no one person’s “fault.” We incarnate into circumstances that we might bring light into the darkness. We are all in that boat together.

*for me a good part of protracted withdrawal issues from psych drugs has been extreme exacerbation of auto-immune issues which seems to be very common among those of us impacted. Often the auto-immune issues go unrecognized as they do with the mainstream population as well.

D

daydreambeliever39

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I read this yesterday.

I think Western medicine has a lot to answer for. It's about making a profit.

It's interesting that women of a certain age have a heightened immunity to certain illnesses, due to being of reproductive age. Some diseases are 'naturally' more prevalent in certain ethnic groups. If the existence of the disease is natural.

Nature seems to do the work for us sometimes and drug companies don't like that. One of the problems with antibiotics is that overuse of them will lead to superbugs which cannot be overcome. I think some doctors are more sensible about this than others.

My doctor was going to give me a drug to manage the side effect of another drug, tardive dyskinesia, and I refused. My body has enough unnatural chemicals in it and it couldn't possibly be good for my health.

Someone on the forum mentioned the violation of the Hippocratic Oath by doing harm and surely that is it. Doctors do it every day and if they were honest with themselves they would admit it.

I don't know how they sleep at night knowing the damage they are causing.