thanks for responses about caring for someone with hygiene issues

B

bunrab

Thanks to those who responded. I am trying to get this person to take good care of himself and am trying to also take care of him. He is on a lot of medication and I hope he can continue to be functional. He just got a job and I am hoping it goes OK. Sometimes I am wondering if the "grunge" fashion look is why he has hygiene issues. Am now trying to get him to use ointment on a red, raw area on one elbow. I think it might come from a nervous habit because he is scratching himself? He gets angry if I suggest he use ointment on his skin. One of his ears had been worse and now looks better, but the elbow is worrisome. He prefers to wear clothing he has already worn, but did buy new clothes for the new job. I am hoping to get him to take care. He also prefers to walk on a walking path even during the late night, which I worry might be unsafe. He is a worry, which as a child he never really was (to me). He has myself (mother), his father, and a stepmother. That might have been a difficult situation for him and why he is resistant about some things?

H

Helena1

Why do you think he has hygiene issues?
Have you bought him the ointment for his skin?

Cazcat

Cazcat

Hi, my husband also has issues with hygiene when he is going through a bad patch and can get very sore skin at times. I gently remind him to wash, run him a bath, get him nice products that I know he likes, make sure his clothes are clean and buy what he needs, remind him to eat and make sure there are 3 healthy meals for him a day, remind him to take his tablets. My husband usually manages to work even when he is needing all this support at home. I do know how worrying it can be though when our loved ones are expanding their boundaries during their recovery.