• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Thank heavens for antipsychotics

I

Imager

At the age of 21 I went into mental meltdown. I had convinced myself that my thoughts were being read by a satellite or computer and that the IRA were on the verge of killing me and my family. Over the following months I went through a whole series of delusions of persecution and grandiosity. Aged 22 I was admitted to the local psych ward and given the drug chlorpromazine aka largactil. also know as liquid cosh. That night whilst falling asleep I had bizarre out of body experiences and thought I was shortly to be murdered. It was terrifying. Looking back I have to say that the drug did the trick. I fell asleep and some up feeling a lot better and seeking out the companionship of others on the ward. I hadn't been cured but I was back in some sort of reality. Thank heavens for antipsychotics.

ht46

ht46

They help me too I was prescribed, rispiridone, lorazepam and zopiclone when I first got unwell they made me a zombie but got me through years of psychosis. Im thankful for them as well.

L

lifecangetbetter

Taking a break
i completely agree. they do help quite a bit

Jam1990

Jam1990

Quetiapine (Seroquel) has helped me change my life around. They have their side effects but they can really help someone going through psychosis. I was going through major depression with psychosis and was put on Seroquel and now my life feels very much improved. I’ll never be completely out of the woods with my mental illnesses but antipsychotics have really helped. Glad to hear they work for you as well. Sounds to me like they may have saved your life.

I

Imager

At the age of 21 I went into mental meltdown. I had convinced myself that my thoughts were being read by a satellite or computer and that the IRA were on the verge of killing me and my family. Over the following months I went through a whole series of delusions of persecution and grandiosity. Aged 22 I was admitted to the local psych ward and given the drug chlorpromazine aka largactil. also know as liquid cosh. That night whilst falling asleep I had bizarre out of body experiences and thought I was shortly to be murdered. It was terrifying. Looking back I have to say that the drug did the trick. I fell asleep and some up feeling a lot better and seeking out the companionship of others on the ward. I hadn't been cured but I was back in some sort of reality. Thank heavens for antipsychotics.
I should add that i have been on many other antipsychotics over 35 years. I have had many relapses but I'm confident that the medication has blunted the worst of my episodes. The negative symptoms have been harder to shift, however sertraline has helped with those somewhat. This forum has without doubt helped me get perspective on my issues as does my voluntary work. Thank you to everyone that has replied to my threads. 😊

Nate

Nate

I agree antipsychotics have helped me out alot. I take paliperidone ( Invega) also perphenazine ( trilifon) this combo has helped keep me calm during the storm of unusual thinking, persucuted delusions and all the other crap that comes with the illness.

Zero One

Zero One

Quetiapine (Seroquel) has helped me change my life around. They have their side effects but they can really help someone going through psychosis. I was going through major depression with psychosis and was put on Seroquel and now my life feels very much improved. I’ll never be completely out of the woods with my mental illnesses but antipsychotics have really helped. Glad to hear they work for you as well. Sounds to me like they may have saved your life.
I think this is starting to work for me. When they first started me on Seroquel I was also on Abilify. Everytime they adjusted the dosage of Seroquel I had at least three days of deep psychosis. Since last week the voices are bothering me less and my reasoning has improved.

L

llittlelostlady

They are worse than my mother with their constant need for attention