• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Texting your therapist

J

Jess21

Does anyone ever text there therapist and do they text back? Do you ever text things that may not be therapy related?

C

Christobel

I've sent two emails to my psychiatrist's secretary but all I have had is complete silence. Don't know whether to leave it until the New Year and try again, or just forget it. I will probably just try to forget it though it makes me feel sad.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Not sure if you're from outside of the UK. I presume you are as a therapist won't give you their number (unless you're paying privately).

I see my own non-NHS counsellor. I have to say that no, I don't ever text her unless it's to re-arrange or cancel an appointment.

I think that there might be a risk of over-stepping boundaries, which could lead to the therapist possibly deciding to discontinue the therapy.
But as I said, i'm not sure where you live or how your therapists operate.

J

Jess21

I live in the U.S. I've been seeing him 3 years, I have his number because he has a private practice. he never tells me to stop texting him I think if it was a problem he would ask me to stop texting him, but he text me stuff to, like him snowboarding and such

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Ah I thought that might have been the case.
Are you concerned at all that you might be bothering him?
I think it's a bit different than from over here, where texting a therapist is generally acceptable.
Anyway, i'll leave it to those who may have a better idea than me to share their experiences.

pepecat

pepecat

Nhs therapists here would never give out a number to clients. Not a personal one, anyway. Big breach of ethics and boundaries.
Private ones probably would as most don't have landlines anyway these says. But as for texting in between appointments.... Again, over here I think it's probably generally not done. You could to rearrange or cancel an appointment, or if you were in crisis in between sessions, but I don't think it's the rule really, and not about non therapy stuff. It kinda oversteps the boundary from 'therapist client' to ...... What? Friends? Well that's a bit weird....It confuses things a bit too much I think.

D

Dottyone

NHS policy is no Emails to Patients and No Answering Machine Messages other than can you please contact us, how ever I have been given an Email address by a previos Cpn.

When I asked for an Email Address from my new Social Worker, I was told its was not allowed.

I really am shocked if a Therapist working for the NHS is giving out a personal Number.

It sounds dodgy, their are codes of conduct and personal boundaries set for both sides.

Sorry I noticed you live in the US, I dont know how things work their.

Last edited:
rasselas.redux

rasselas.redux

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I got an email, mobile, invites to parties etc

I was okay with it up to a point and part of me wishes I'd not asserted the boundaries but I felt I had to. They knew so much about me, I knew hardly anything about them. It would have ended in disaster for them professionally so I made a discreet word. I'm sure they'd be philosophical about it now.

P

Piano12345

I have a cell number for my therapist. She says I can text her whenever I need too. I rarely use it unless I'm having problems getting through to see her with the front desk. I live it very general, no specifics - "can you squeeze me in?" Only had one instance where I blurted out what happened but it was still low on details- Aunt had a heart attack - I can't breathe. Can you see me today? She has never complained. In fact, she texted me a merry Christmas and a Happy Borthday.