Terrified

sirenserenade

sirenserenade

I came back from a health assessment yesterday. I'm currently claiming universal credit because no one in my household works full time, as my mum and I are both full-time students, and my mum's ex husband is unable to work.

That being said, I'm absolutely terrified that I'll be made to work. I have chronic fatigue, depression, debilitating social anxiety, agoraphobia, and OCD. I *absolutely* do want to work, please don't assume that this stems from a place of laziness, it's just that I genuinely do not have the emotional/mental stability to work. I was successful in getting a job in retail (the interviews were awful for me, I had panic attacks before and after, I only got the job because they were looking to employ students without experience) but on the first day I had a mental breakdown after collapsing once I got home, and after visiting the GP for an emergency appointment, he deemed me too sick to work.

I don't know how to cope. I don't have enough money to contribute to the rent as well as get professional help. I've gone through mental health services through the NHS but I'm at the end of my tether with them. I managed to get off their waiting list, but I was sent to see a foreign student counsellor, who it was a struggle to cross the language barrier with. I've also gone through three separate rounds of CBT unsuccessfully.

My days are spent focused on my university work, and I'm the only one in the house who does housework, so if I had to get a part-time job on top of this, I would not be able to cope at all whatsoever. I'm not saying that to avoid working at all, I just know my limits. I can barely get by as it is and to have strangers who don't know me determine my capability is terrifying to me.

HauntedWitch

HauntedWitch

That being said, I'm absolutely terrified that I'll be made to work. I have chronic fatigue, depression, debilitating social anxiety, agoraphobia, and OCD. I'm not saying that to avoid working at all, I just know my limits. I can barely get by as it is and to have strangers who don't know me determine my capability is terrifying to me.
I totally understand your medical concerns, but I am not sure I get what you mean by being 'made to work'. Who is going to force this to happen and how?

Around here, so far from forcing us to work, they have trouble even finding work for us to do. It is very difficult to get a real paying job in this area if you have a disability or have been unemployed for any length of time. I wish you all the best!

Z

Zoe1

I share your concerns Siren, I have had many struggles with this
and my experience is over the years
is that you need tons and tons of backup
, medical notes, and letters from doctors
advocates, lawyers,

and for instance we found
that sometimes the psychiatrists clinic reports are not enough
because they dont necessarily list all the problems that you have
so my psychiatric had to write a separate letter
especially addressed to the benefits agency

and if you are lucky they might be able to plead
that an interview would be harmful to you

if I think of anything else I will get back to you
oh yes, ... and I keep a diary of my symptoms

one time I had to go to their assessment
and I took my diary with me
because otherwise my mind goes blank in the interview
and I cant remember what I suffered with !

still terrifying though

:loveshower::loveshower::loveshower: