• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Terrified of being outside

T

TearyEyedx

I’m suffering from generalised anxiety disorder at the moment. I was diagnosed not so long ago. I’m so scared of being around other people because I worry they will bully me or maybe make fun of me. I’m terrified about my future. Is there anyone else who has these moments? I don’t want to be alone anymore

Bellaone

Bellaone

I’m sorry you’re feeling this way. I have felt scared to go outside before, it’s horrible. Do you take any medication for anxiety?

T

TearyEyedx

I’m sorry you’re feeling this way. I have felt scared to go outside before, it’s horrible. Do you take any medication for anxiety?

I’m on medication for it but it doesn’t work anymore because it’s been so long since I started it. Trying to get an appointment lately with a therapist is really hard. It’s just been terrible. I start to dissociate when I’m around other people which is so scary...

Bellaone

Bellaone

Sorry it’s not working anymore. I hope you get some therapy soon. That does sound really scary. Would you consider a different medication?

T

TearyEyedx

Sorry it’s not working anymore. I hope you get some therapy soon. That does sound really scary. Would you consider a different medication?
thank you, I hope so too. I’ve tried some different ones but unfortunately I’m allergic to a lot of certain ones, I was on lamical for a while but I had an allergic reaction and ended up in hospital with a bad rash. So now I’m worried about trying new medication now because of it. I always read the side effects before I take anything 😂Always worry.

Bellaone

Bellaone

Oh no. Yes some of the side effects are really worrying...especially after having a reaction.

ColdandAlone

ColdandAlone

Hi TearyEyedx, I have anxiety, stress possibly PTSD, according to one councillor. Was bullied by 5 neighbours for over 3 years, this killed the once outgoing person I was, happened slowly but in the end I was left the cowering mess I am today. Like you I hate being outside, people, noise, anything or anywhere that makes me feel intimidated, which is pretty much everywhere. I live my life in the dark, sleep during the day, wait for everyone to go to bed then the night is mine, I sit outside if it's dry, I call it moon bathing, watch the sun come up, then hide from the world again. Was in hospital for over 8 weeks, they tried various meds, all made me sleepy even the ones they said wouldn't, couldn't function, even making a drink was extremely difficult, nor could I drive, so I stopped taking them. Driving is an escape for me, middle of the night doors all locked, thankfully local supermarket have automotive 24 hour petrol pumps! You are not alone, I have lived this way for 6 years now, was getting a bit more confident, then recently another neighbour spotted me outside late one day and bullied me, why? I had done nothing, I feel like I'm the neighbourhood kicking ball. I pray for rain so people stay indoors, love the cold dark winter months as there's very few people around. There is hope, it's just going to take time for me to heal, to become strong enough to slowly face daylight. Baby steps as they say. Not going to let that neighbour stop me from eventually having some type of life in the sun. Take care and know that you are not alone, there are many like us. Sending bug hugs, we can get through this XxX

L

Lauralie

Sounds like maybe you should try a different neighborhood... I can’t imagine people bullying you like that especially five of them...is there anyway you can move... what kind of people are these people. May I ask how old you are. Most people are genuinely friendly and really mean you no harm I’m sure. I like the nighttime too but for different reasons... I don’t think you should let these people run your life and make you stay in all day ...you need sunshine !!! What happens if you just ignore them??

ColdandAlone

ColdandAlone

Hi,

I'm 55, retired ex military, bought a ground floor flat 20 years ago, was always extremely outgoing, never had any real mental health issues, that all changed in March 2014. New neighbours moved in with 2 dogs, seemed nice at first. Then the resident trouble maker who we all ignore befriended the new couple, the resident trouble maker finally found a kindred spirit, very shortly after another new couple who where renting, they went out and got 2 dogs joined the gang. It was hell, dogs lose running around growling at you, standing outside screaming and shouting, nose up against my windows, damaged my car. Police useless! Anti social behaviour team got involved saw the rented couple off, the other 3 told to stop. Went quiet for a couple of months, but it was very un nerving. I had counselling, helped, but they kicked off again, couldn't even go to my bin without threats, harassment etc, ignored it all, then my Dad who I worshipped got diagnosed with stage 4 cancer, 4 weeks later he went to the angels. During all this, visiting him at the hospice, I was coming back to that lot, less than a year later I had a breakdown, and seriously harmed myself, unfortunately I was found. Spent over 8 weeks in hospital. Nervous wreck, scared of loud noises, and there I was in a place where screaming, loud bangs etc was the norm, didn't help one bit. XxX

ColdandAlone

ColdandAlone

Believe me I looked at every means of leaving, just don't have the funds on a pension. So slowly but surely I hid, still hide now, got much better at it, memorised all the neighbours times for going to work and coming home so I could avoid them, but with covid they are at home. That's how the neighbour caught me, I was just standing there near my back door and he started getting nasty, hadn't spoken to him hadn't given any reason, hadn't even looked at him. Found out that it's because he didn't want anyone using the rear garden, his daughter divorced 3 kids, has a house a mile away, her new boyfriend recently rented the flat above him, the boyfriend has 2 kids from a previous relationship. Few weeks later in our communal gardens the three of them threw a garden party, bouncy castle, gazebo, loads of people kids etc, music and of course alcohol. Literally took over the place. I fled to my brothers as it was too much for me, the noise, the people, I was really stressed out. XxX

T

Taffy

If the police are no help can you complain to the landlord? I have a neighbor who is also loud. Bangs her door, yells, has 2 dogs that bark. No money to move I guess it could be worse though.

ColdandAlone

ColdandAlone

Unfortunately I bought the flat, the management company weren't much use until very recently, My brother, love him he's the strong one now, always used to be me that looked out for him, I was always the strong one, anyway, he got a solicitor involved who wrote to the management company, in a nutshell they panicked, he really scared them, forever grateful for that. Upshot is they are now getting pro active, neighbour got told to leave me alone and the management company are for the moment at least attempting to help me. Whether it just words or whether they will actually act on what they are saying only time will tell. I can sympathise with the loud neighbours, having lived here 20 years I can honestly say I would talk anyone out of buying or moving into a flat. Hope it gets better for you XxX

T

Taffy

Unfortunately I bought the flat, the management company weren't much use until very recently, My brother, love him he's the strong one now, always used to be me that looked out for him, I was always the strong one, anyway, he got a solicitor involved who wrote to the management company, in a nutshell they panicked, he really scared them, forever grateful for that. Upshot is they are now getting pro active, neighbour got told to leave me alone and the management company are for the moment at least attempting to help me. Whether it just words or whether they will actually act on what they are saying only time will tell. I can sympathise with the loud neighbours, having lived here 20 years I can honestly say I would talk anyone out of buying or moving into a flat. Hope it gets better for you XxX
Can I ask what is a solicitor? Glad your getting help.