• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Terrified about starting university tomorrow

D

depressed_person18

I suffer from anxiety every day but tomorrow I start university officially. I have an induction session with a bunch of people I don't even know and I'm worried that I won't be able to cope with my anxiety. The anxiety that I feel is so bad that I sometimes just want to cry. My stomach gets really sore and I get diarrhoea as well. And also a very unpleasant feeling in my chest. I can hardly speak when it is at its worst. Please if anyone could support me I would appreciate it greatly. I'm just trembling and terrified.

Faith198

Faith198

Hey I struggle with anxiety pretty bad and I have found getting to things early helps me (in a way). I hate the feeling of walking in when everyone else is already there and they look at me. Also I want to mention that some other people could deal with the same thing and be feeling the same way. The first day is always the most scary (for me). You are strong to go in for your first day tomorrow. You got this and I believe in you. Just focus on getting through tomorrow. Take it one day at a time. 💛💛💛 let us know how it goes :hug::hug: A mint might settle your stomach a bit too if you could pop one of those in, or a piece of mint gum

D

depressed_person18

Hey I struggle with anxiety pretty bad and I have found getting to things early helps me (in a way). I hate the feeling of walking in when everyone else is already there and they look at me. Also I want to mention that some other people could deal with the same thing and be feeling the same way. The first day is always the most scary (for me). You are strong to go in for your first day tomorrow. You got this and I believe in you. Just focus on getting through tomorrow. Take it one day at a time. 💛💛💛 let us know how it goes :hug::hug: A mint might settle your stomach a bit too if you could pop one of those in, or a piece of mint gum
Thanks for the kind words and advice :)
I hope my anxiety eases down a bit once I get there, it's always the worst feeling ever when leading up to the event, that's for sure. Anticipatory anxiety is what they call it I think. But then there's also the lack of self confidence that sometimes worsens my anxiety during social interactions.

W

WanderingA

I have the same my anxiety isn't bad now but I still get this weird horrible feeling In my chest and my belly goes icky too.. Its absolutely awful.. But you can do this. Just big deep breaths. Try focus on other things twiddle a pen in your hands think of the positive things that will come of this. And remember to remind yourself that it's OK to feel this way there's nothing wrong it's just your body reacting to a nervous situation.. You can do this!!.

J

jaybot102

Hi depressed_person18! I'm guessing you'll see this once you're back from uni or done with the day. If so, I just want to say well done for getting through it! I hope it went well. Freshers, meeting new people and finding your way around a new place is hard at normal times, let alone times like these. There's some good advice here that I hope helped.

All that anxiety and worry was me four years ago, and it made me very uneasy. I've dealt with anxiety and depression, but it's less so now because I've learnt how to manage it better. It happens to the best of us, and you'd not be a normal person had you not been feeling those, especially when you're making a big change like starting university. Others will be in the same place as you, it's the task of finding them and sharing your common cause with them. One step at a time, but make those connections nevertheless. A regret of mine is not having stuck with that and let me anxiety overtake me, but it does get easier over time.

I wish you all the best in your studies and time at university, it's a magical and wonderful time, and stressful nonetheless, but it's what you make it that counts.

D

depressed_person18

I couldn’t do it and now I feel a bit annoyed at myself :/ all I had to do was walk in—I was right outside the place. As I was walking there I was shaking like crazy and I’m not exaggerating. I can’t live like this.

AlwaysinCrown

AlwaysinCrown

TW/suicide
My case was much different as I studied the things I didn't planned. It made me stressful, had panic attacks and depression. I had some suicide attempts. Maybe you chose studies which don't fit on you?
How about me, I wasn't stressed at my first day because I was excited about meeting new people. The first year on studies is the worst. Unfortunately, those who stay are people who just survived hard exams.

J

jaybot102

I couldn’t do it and now I feel a bit annoyed at myself :/ all I had to do was walk in—I was right outside the place. As I was walking there I was shaking like crazy and I’m not exaggerating. I can’t live like this.
That's ok. There were many times I didn't even get to the door, and I'd just stay at home because I was feeling extremely anxious. Next time, go into the building and if you don't feel like you don't want to go in then at least you've made progress. You can and will be able to do it.

It's not easy for sure, but if you keep trying you'll do it. I believe in you.