Term for "back and forth extremes"?

P

platypus

Is there a word or term for when you go back and forth between hopeful (I'll even go as far to say "euphoric"-ish) optimism/good mood and doubting upset "suicide-y pessimism"..? (I apologize I can't think of a more eloquent way to put it)

I know that it says Bipolar goes through mood swings and it'll be days or weeks, but what about when you go to those extremes in a day or it even happens multiple times a day?
Is that even bipolar?
Is there a word for this?

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

Forum Guide
hi what you are describing sounds a bit like BPD
but i am no expert
maybe it would be an idea to see your doctor?
describe to them what you have to us here
welcome to the forum love from fairy lu x

Shadow-one

Shadow-one

Forum Safety Team
Forum Guide
Hey Platypus

Welcome to the forum :)

Yeah I agree with Fairy Lu.....
I also have BPD and mood changes can happen in minutes at times...
BPD is essentially an Emotionally Unstable PD - but there are way more elements to it than rapid mood changes...

For me - I would never feel euphoric for example... but I do have co-existing depression and anxiety so it's complicated anyway... So I'm not sure if your 'highs' and 'lows' are really related to BPD but you could read up on it and see if it's a fit for you in other ways....

Prairie Sky

Prairie Sky

Just to clarify, when these ladies say BPD, they mean Borderline Personality Disorder. It's similar to Bipolar in a lot of ways.

I have a diagnosis of Bipolar 2, and while my mood does vary quite a bit during the day, I wouldn't call it experiencing both extremes many times a day. Right now I'm going through a mixed episode, and it still only means agitated, irritable depression, with none of the happy side of hypomania.

Have you been diagnosed with bipolar? I'd encourage you to describe it to your doctor.

Shadow-one

Shadow-one

Forum Safety Team
Forum Guide
i agree with shadow!
i never feel euphoric or manic

its like okaish for me then rock bottom x
Hey Lu

You are describing ME perfectly here too....

I have 'bad' days and 'worse days'..... exactly the same as you....

This is how I describe my days every day...

P

platypus

Thank you for your replies.

Do you have any list of "signs of BPD" but like, not in formal generalized diagnosing terms?

V

violetmarisa

you should look up cyclothymia. i just got diganosed with it and it cleared a lot of things up for me. it's a milder rapid cycling bipolar.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Bipolar Forum 1