• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Tension headache

P

Phil10

The other day I had a bad headache took some Paracetamol and it went away but I have had a very slight tension headache for a few days after like sometimes I don’t notice it. Seems to come when I think about it I feel a slight tingle at the side of my head could it be anxiety? Sometimes symptoms are really apparent but seems mild?

L

LadyDomino

Are you on any medications? I know that the side effects of mine are frequent headaches

L

LadyDomino

Well they be the cause of the headaches. Rather than taking more drugs to get rid of the headaches, why not try one of the many relaxation therepies such as yoga or mindfullness. I find regular sessions of accupuncture helps.

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

i hope you feel better soon and fine a way to get rid of them permanently , know its not the same as migraine but paracetamol and a dark room help mine x

P

Phil10

I had some paracetamol tonight as it got worse but it went away and came back a bit. Like tense at the side and across my forehead. I am very worried about work maybe that’s a cause? My worry is I’ve had the symptom days but I know with anxiety this stuff can last weeks?

P

Phil10

Should I try relaxation and cutting out the fizzy juice? It’s been my main symptom all week a slight tension it went away at work but more prominent at home. Can the tension last all day with anxiety?

S

strawberrywater

Should I try relaxation and cutting out the fizzy juice? It’s been my main symptom all week a slight tension it went away at work but more prominent at home. Can the tension last all day with anxiety?
Yes, try some relaxation. Look up ambient noise videos on YouTube - ocean waves, rain, fire crackling, whatever you like. Be in a darker room, close your eyes, and rest with that.

Cutting out fizzy juice may help - is there caffeine in it? That can trigger headaches. Sugar can be a trigger too. Drink more water🙂

Anxiety can cause tension headaches, for sure. That's what my doctor told me. If you experience them more at home, are there ways to control your environment better? Block out light, suppress noise. I know in my neighborhood there's always machinery running (lawn mowers, blowers, tree cutting, trucks running) which is a constant issue for me. I have black out curtains and thick rugs to try and suppress the noise outside. Good headphones and those ambient noise videos help too!

P

Phil10

I had no tension headache last night but it’s back today. Can’t put my finger on why people say try relaxation sometimes that does nothing. At work I tend to notice it much less but sometimes feel it mild. Like a tight band. How long might it last? I can’t find a trigger? Last night I was keeping busy looking at hotels never had it today I’m sort of waiting to start work and feel it?

P

Phil10

The tension has also been some eye straining could be related? I notice a member on here had head tension for 2 weeks and it just went away. Mine started after I got a new manager at work. It’s a bit of a pain as I wake and body scan for the symptom. It only goes if I am working and focusing hard on the job or if am browsing hard at hotels or something to really keep my mind busy. Problem is I can’t keep that focused all day. Often with the symptoms I want them go go away but they just won’t?

P

Phil10

Can head tension last over a week? Relaxation isn’t working unless I try deep relaxation or look at hotels/work where my mind is busy. Any other time I feel the tension? I woke up today and it never started until I was up an hour my head kept saying do I feel tense? Can anxiety really cause these symptoms? Another example I had feet pain with new shoes at work. I felt no head pain as my mind was focused on the feet? But it’s a pain as I feel tension headache quite a lot unless I really really keep the mind super busy

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

I'd speak to your GP, they can assess and advise you. I get more headaches when I'm stressed. Best to consult medical attention with a prolonged episode of headaches.
You could also ask your pharmacist, they can advise on meds etc.
Have you had your blood pressure checked recently, as high blood pressure can cause headaches.
Hope you feel better very soon.

Wishbone

Wishbone

It does sound anxiety based to me in that when you're thinking of it it bothers you, but when you're not thinking of it, or other important things, it goes away or isn't noticeable. Relaxing is a good idea, people scoff at it, I've done so myself, but it does work when you're overthinking, worrying etc. I would also agree with drinking more water and less sugar/fizz.

P

Phil10

I'd speak to your GP, they can assess and advise you. I get more headaches when I'm stressed. Best to consult medical attention with a prolonged episode of headaches.
You could also ask your pharmacist, they can advise on meds etc.
Have you had your blood pressure checked recently, as high blood pressure can cause headaches.
Hope you feel better very soon.
Not yet I mean it’s never been a bad enough headache to take paracetamol. Just mild tension. I was on the train and worried and it became intense. I have had a period of long tension headaches around 2010 and it felt similar and I couldn’t believe anxiety could cause it this feel similar. It happened when I got a new manager at work I felt this. It did worry me but I’ve not bothered as much recently. I do hate change but I have awful Health anxiety. I worry so many things can go wrong and worry about dying each day this isn’t helping. Things have opened up in scotland only a few days now so can’t tell if keeping busy will help things for me. I’ve suffered awful panic attacks chest pains hand pains headaches stuff like this all year. I use to suffer bad ocd but it’s switched to anxiety I think I maybe felt relaxed one or two days this year each day I just feel an anxious wreck.

P

Phil10

It does sound anxiety based to me in that when you're thinking of it it bothers you, but when you're not thinking of it, or other important things, it goes away or isn't noticeable. Relaxing is a good idea, people scoff at it, I've done so myself, but it does work when you're overthinking, worrying etc. I would also agree with drinking more water and less sugar/fizz.
Yep I just put Jason Stephenson medication on it really gets you relaxing deep often your can feel very relaxed then I “look for the symptom” and it comes back. I have a terrible habit with meditation of looking at my phone or social media I often don’t get as much as I should out of it maybe I find it boring. Sure it works if I have a panic attack I relax but I could relax maybe even more if I put the phone away.