• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Tension and anxiety vs depression

Is tension and anxiety worse than depression?

• Tension and anxiety is worse than depression

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Depression is worse than tension and anxiety

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • They are as bad as each other, not much in them.

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
DoctorInternet2

DoctorInternet2

I've experienced both of these problems recently, both awful, I've been in a very dark place recently, I've had social problems and relationship ones. It's hard to work out which is worse. I think I've got to say the tension and anxiety was worse for me because it was more extreme, and perhaps people were less sympathetic because it was more closely connected with an actual relationship problem. People don't like to hear bad news.

Last edited:
SarahD

SarahD

For me personally depression is worse than anything. But I think it will vary depending on each person's experience and personality.

Depression isn't just one thing that is always felt in the same way. There is terrible pain, hopelessness, despair, sometimes numbness and blankness, going beyond pain, there is lethargy and inability to function at a basic level, sometimes there is agitation,and restlessness. Agony, anguish, self-torture. Sometimes you feel dead, in fact that is the better part, because that is when you are beyond pain. Death is the best you can hope for.

A

ashesunbroken

I think they often go hand in hand. I have an anxiety disorder and depression. Anxiety is horrible and so is depression. I honestly don't think they should or deserve to be compared. They are two different, serious things. Comparing them kind of makes it seem like one is preferable. They are illnesses, and no one should desire one or the other, because no one should desire an illness. We should be focusing on recovering and feeling better, not which one is worse.

DoctorInternet2

DoctorInternet2

I think depression is one of the worse problems that anyone can suffer from, after I actually had it. When I'm depressed everything seems black and dark and I was without hope. The only reason I found the anxiety problems worse was mainly because it seems much more flexible, and so extreme because I think anxiety is more closely related with an actual environmental occurrence. Depression can occur for no reason. Anxiety can but it's more likely to be related to everyday happenings, if that makes sense.

B

balancekeeper

I thimkl thje two are as bad as each other in their own way... when you have both they seem to make everything sooo much worse

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I'd say that they can both be as bad as each other - both affect your ability to live your life and experience enjoyment. Both can make you feel like you're a prisoner.
I also agree with ashesunbroken in that the two can go hand in hand as well with one feeding in to the another.:unsure:

DoctorInternet2

DoctorInternet2

I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with comparing these problems, we do it with other things, why not with this? I think the problem is that they can both feel like a link to a real problem which makes the illness seem so real to the sufferer, when in fact to a well person, who can cope with most things that life throws at him/her, it can be purely seen as a illness or state of mind.