• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Ten minutes of mindfulness everyday has cured a lot of my problems

• Thread starter Mister_Fabulous formerly BetaMale
  • Start date
M

Mister_Fabulous formerly BetaMale

I've been practising mindfulness on and off for over a year now using an app I downloaded from www.wakingup.com. Each daily guided meditation session consists of just ten minutes. Mindfulness is quite literally effortless: one just has to experience the world as it is without being lost in thought. However, it does take a little practice (around 15 sessions) as being lost in thought or mind-wandering is our default state. I want to say that mindfulness has substantially improved my OCD symptoms and my baseline mood as well. I used to be on antipsychotics, SSRIs, lithium and lamotrigine in the past but now, I'm only on lamotrigine which is also gradually being tapered. When I began the practice, I possessed a brain ravaged by faulty genetics, severe childhood and adult trauma, and long-term antipsychotic use. Thus, if I could benefit from ten minutes of mindfulness everyday, anyone can. Unlike psychotropic meds, mindfulness has NO negative side effects.

There is growing research on how mindfulness meditation is associated with several positive structural changes in the brain, including shrinkage of the amygdala -- the "fear centre" of the brain that's responsible for the fight-or-flight response. To see how mindfulness changes the brain, see How Meditation Changes the Brain | Mindworks - Mindfully Rewire.

wollie

wollie

Hi BetaMale

I went to an out patients clinic for 6 months trying to learn mindfullness and meditation, I dont sufer from OCD I have depression and hear voices, the 6 months was a waste of time for me because I just could not get "into" it.
Others fell asleep while meditating and said they felt completly relaxed, I just dont get it:sorry:

Rowan

Rowan

I have been trying mindfulness again recently. I did a lot of it when I had DBT for BPD. I had got out of the habit.

I'm sure I read that it is more effective than medication for severe trauma.

sad_heart20

sad_heart20

i need to learn mindfulness. ❤

Daybreak

Daybreak

Hi BetaMale

I went to an out patients clinic for 6 months trying to learn mindfullness and meditation, I dont sufer from OCD I have depression and hear voices, the 6 months was a waste of time for me because I just could not get "into" it.
Others fell asleep while meditating and said they felt completly relaxed, I just dont get it:sorry:
How did you feel after doing the mindfulness meditation? Was it hard to follow your breathe?

wollie

wollie

How did you feel after doing the mindfulness meditation? Was it hard to follow your breathe?
I felt weired trying to relax and to control my breathing, we were laying down flat on the floor
on a thin mat which was not very comfortable, some fell asleep it was so relaxing for them but I just felt agitated.

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

@wollie, I think they told you wrong when you practice mindfulness you don't control your breathing you just let it flow naturally and you shouldn't lie down until you've developed some skill as you will fall asleep one of the Buddhist synonyms for mindfulness is to be awake it sounds more like the relaxation exercises they used to teach at the day hospital round here.

Daybreak

Daybreak

That was probably the problem, you didn't feel comfortable. It's hard to concentrate while you feel uncomfortable.

wollie

wollie

@wollie, I think they told you wrong when you practice mindfulness you don't control your breathing you just let it flow naturally and you shouldn't lie down until you've developed some skill as you will fall asleep one of the Buddhist synonyms for mindfulness is to be awake it sounds more like the relaxation exercises they used to teach at the day hospital round here.
This was at a day hospital, and the courses were called mindfullness and meditation, im confused now.

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

@wollie, they probably just called it that to sound trendy, I was once on acute ward down south in a rather posh bit of the country and they had Tai Chi classes, you wouldn't get that here in the major cities, they even have to lock up the Xbox on the ward the last time I was in to stop folks nicking it and selling it for crack!

Blooming

Blooming

Hi BetaMale, I loaded down the app you recommended. I look forward to use it. Do you use a special time of the day to do the exercises?

I have finished my third day with the app. Think after breakfast will be a good time for me to practice. So far the instructions look promising. ☺